• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warn Winch Problem

Fishalittle

I have a warn 2500 lb winch for plowing snow and all of a sudden it seems like it takes more power from the battery to let the winch out then it does to raise the plow....? I tried a new battery on the atv with little or no improvement. Any ideas...need the winch to plow so I am hesitant to send it in for repair and not get it back for .... how long?

Thanks for any help or ideas!

How are all the cable connections? I am pretty sure there still is a warn service center in the twin cities. I had some issues with a new winch a few years ago, called ahead of time and had it back within a week. They are pretty simple to work on, online parts and schematics, probably just need brushes?

How old is the winch, and has it ever been apart to be cleaned/serviced or lubricated? If not it could be time for that and a brush inspection. Aside from that, the first thing I'd check is the cable on the spool for binding. Free spool it out a ways and wind it in with tension on it to make sure its not binding on itself.

If thats not it, I'd get after it now during this break in the snow and have it ready for the next round. wink

Winch is 2 years old- I use a tie down strap like 1" wide in the winter for plowing cause it is so hard on the cable- doesn't seem to be binding at all...?? I basically only use it for snow plowing. Haven't taken it apart yet- maybe that should be the first step- just not sure what I would be looking for. Otherwise I will have to send it down to the service center- I live almost 4 hours from the cities. How can you tell if the brushes are bad?

You would have to disassemble the motor to visually check the brushes. If you have never done it, it may be best to seek some help from a friend or someone locally to find out what you need before sending it in somewhere. Warn is pretty common so you would possibly be able to get parts locally if you check around.