• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Star Wrap

Smoker

Just wondering on how to do a star wrap. I have see them but all the guys in the area has never done one. I need to build a rod that they would like stars on and I would like to try it. Any one have any ideas where to get the pattern?

I will be doing a star pattern on right starting tonight(last minute xmas gift request). It is kind of a rush but I will try to take a few pics as a I go and post them back here.

There are a couple ways to do a star. A little more details in the question and I may be able to be of more help.

I have seen the 5 point star and I guess I would call it a shining star. In my case I know that they prefered the 5 point star. I would like to do a white star with ble around it and a few wraps of red on the outside. Thanks for the help.

You are right Upnorth. It was a 4 point like the one you showed. I don't know why I thought it was a 5 point. Maybe I did see it is some weaving I was looking at also. I'm not ready to try weaving yet. I am interested in learning the star wrap yet though.

I took some pics, but have not had a chance to look at them yet to see if they even turned out. I suck at indoor photography blush I tend to wind up with glare a lot or fuzzy. If they don't turn out I will do something up real quick with MS paint and a few directions to get you started.

Here is the start. Layout is square spacing. Diameter x pi and then laid out on the blank

For this on I left enough space for 6 threads of gold on either side of the mark.

The gold is wrapped towards the center, one on each side of the layout mark, the background is wrapped from the gold out on each side. It is wrapped plus 1. meaning you will wrap the star color(gold) 1 on each side toward the center and for each sequence you will wrap the background color plus 1 from the last sequence.

the sequences for this one was:

1. gold 1, purple 1

2. gold 1, purple 2

3. gold 1, purple 3

4. gold 1, purple 4

5. gold 1, purple 5

6. gold 1, purple 6

7. from this point whatever you want to close and finsish it out. I did 7 more gold and then framed it with 5 threads of white.

IMG_1305.jpg

Here is a pic of the second sequence, the glare makes it hard to see the detail but you can kinda see what is happening.

IMG_1312.jpg

A little further on.

IMG_1315.jpg

Here the pattern is finished.

IMG_1329.jpg

The flash, metallic thread and a shiny blank make taking these pics a real PITA. If you need a better explanation of any of the steps, just ask and I will try to explain it better. I did a how to on another wrap a while back too. Pics were better and more detail but it was a more complex wrap. I think it is called soaring eagle or something of that nature.

Eagle wrap.

Or this one a roses wrap.

Roses wrap.

I was able to take more time with the photography on those two as i didn't have such a time crunch to get them done.

Thanks upnorth. It is all a big help.I should be able to get started on it in a couple days. Now I might be making another rod for myself. The eagle wrap looks real nice. I haven't made to many rods yet but I am always up for a challage. This is to addicting for me.