• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crossbills and jack pines

mixxedbagg

I know Red Crossbills are attracted to red and white pines and I know White-winged Crossbills eat the seeds of spruce and tamarack, but I have about 40 jack pines in my yard. Crossbills of both species have been in the area and I'm wondering if I can expect either to have a hankerin' for my jack pine cones this winter. Any thoughts?

I've only lived here since March, but we did have a few White-winged Crossbills fly through late last winter.

Both species will eat jack pine seeds. Now will they eat yours? Its really hit and miss. I have large red pines, jack pines, scotch pine, white pines, black spruce and balsam that are producing cones. In the 5 years I have lived here I have only seen red cross bills once. They were feeding on the red pines. Interestling in the winter I have seen tons of white winged cross bills in the area but never have noticed any in my pines either.

You can try putting a salt block out for the crossbills also they have been knowen to eat Black oil sunflower and striped sunflower seeds, put a 50-50 mix of niger thistle and fine sunflower chips in a finch feeder.

Not only will the red crossbill eat the 50-50 mix, look for Goldfinches, House finches, Purple finches, Redpolls, Mourning dove, pine siskins along with a host of ground feeders as well.

A salt block...really?! I've never heard of that one, but it might be worth a try.

I offer niger and sunflower already, so I might have to try your mix. I have only seen crossbills at a feeder once, but I've heard of other people getting them...that would be pretty neat.