• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Traditional ML?

So I bought a Hawken a few years back when there was the all season license and the next year they changed it to one deer period in lottery areas. I've always filled my archery tag since instead but this year I haven't and I want to give the Hawken a shot. I know I'm getting into this late but wondering if anyone has any advice or can point me to a thread that goes into the basics of traditional ML? I've been reading the manual that came with the gun and going to follow the directions, but any pointers so I can get started practicing the next few weeks would be appreciated. Or should I put the Hawken on the mantle and go buy an inline? : )

A have a few pointers take them or leave them

With whatever type inline or sidelock you want to do a LOT of shooting before you go hunting.

I think it is a good idea to write a checklist of the steps you take when loading. Take it with you when you practice, its so easy to get distracted.

In a sidelock I like to use real black powder (Goex ffg should work good in your gun). Real black powder is easiest to ignite.

Clean the oil out of your bore with a dry patch and fire a couple caps to clear the nipple before you load.

Just take your time be careful and have fun with it. The t/c maxihunter might be a decent bullet to start with and about 80 grains or so of the powder.

Good Luck

I shoot a Hawken and love it. I use Goex FFG, about 75 grains, a patch and round ball. It will shoot 2-3" groups. Flipper is right, keep track of everything you try, it does get hard to keep it straight when you start making adjustments. Feel free to call me at Keeler's Gunsmithing with any questions, also Track of the Wolf in Elk River is a great resource, far more knowledgeable and helpful than a big box store.

No need to buy an inline. I find it gratifying using my .54 Renegade caplock in the woods. I use 80 grains GOEX FF with a PRB.

I would start with 70 grains and shoot 3 shot groups while running a patch between shots. Then increase the powder by 5 grains and repeat. Find the best shot group and use that. Don't forget to label each shot group so you can refer to the patterns.

Couple tips:

1. Biggest tip I can give you is don't let anyone talk to you while in the process of loading. You may forget what you have done and either double load powder, dry ball(forget to put powder in first, etc.

2. Once you find a load you like, place your ramrod down the barrel and score it. This way if you are not sure if it loaded, you place the ramrod in the barrel and check the line you just scored.

Thanks guys for the advice. So essentially I have my .54 caplock Hawken and no other supplies. I'm thinking of starting with patched roundballs. And all of the other accessories I need. Any input on what the essentials are to purchase for successful practicing are would be appreciated. I may not even try hunting this year, just keep heading out with the bow as far as that's concerned. But I'd love to finally get this gun out of the safe!

get one of those boards that hold 6-8 patched balls, I use bore butter to lube patches, see if you can find a few small containers with good caps that will hold pre-measured loads of powder (I have some test tube looking things with threaded caps), I also have a necklace that holds percussion caps in a leather disk, quick and handy; pipe cleaners, a spare nipple and nipple wrench, a good ball starter is a must, screwdriver(s) and maybe a needlenose just in case, brush and cleaning patch holder(patches too, and a small bottle of black powder bore cleaner helps between shots at the range),lastly, a nice possible bag to hold everything. That should get you a good start and you can adjust from there. Marking your ramrod is a good idea too, there will come a time when you get to thinking, did I put powder in there? makes it easy to check.

SmilinBob has a good list to start. I would look at getting a kit that has most of the essentials you need. Short starter, capper, powder measure, powder flask, patches (I use .015 pre-lubed patches), lube if patches aren't patched already (I like Bore butter), caps, balls and a possibles bag.

Hunting: I have a small bag that all essentials go into. I use speed loaders with powder measured, patched round ball with a cap on the lid. Grab one out of the pouch and the short starter and load the gun.

Thanks again guys for all the advice. Just an update that SmilinBob got me to thinking about what a good asset a great gunsmith can be so I brought it into Laib's in Spicer. I left it with him today and he's going to order all the supplies I need, putting a kit together for me and then he's going to give me pointers on shooting and practicing.