• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Goat Whisperer Ice Rod

I had a customer request an ice rod for her father-in-law's Christmas gift. He makes arrowheads and she asked if I would be able to incorporate one into the rod.

Here's what I came up with. The arrowhead is imbedded using casting resin. The cedar is sealed with CA and everything was polished up using micro mesh on the final step.

Thanks go to Bill and Al at Midwest Rod and Reel for all the components!

File_Photo.jpg

Nice work, I might need to get in touch with you. Andy was telling me about your "water slides" I think they are called. A couple weeks ago when you came into MW R&R, I was in there chatting with Andy and getting a couple components when you stopped in to say hello..

Keep up the good work!

You are correct, this is the half-pipe I mentioned. It's the Batson pipe style reel seat. If you look at one of those closely you'll see the part that I've removed. I then clean up the edges and paint it.

I wouldn't call it a fore grip. It's really just a decorative insert that gives the rod a totally unique look.

I did another one before this using an acrylic pen blank instead of wood. It really turned out nice. I sent a picture to the editor of RodMaker magazine and he was kind enough to include it in the current issue. If you get back to Midwest Rod and Reel check it out, they usually have that magazine around somewhere.

I get mine at the Woodcraft store in Bloomington...I think Rockler has them as well. It's the same stuff that you get at any hardware store it just cost a little less because it's available in larger sizes. I don't know if the "thick" type of CA is available at the hardware store or not.

Check out this link, it'll describe the different types available.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Search.aspx?query=ca

Rockler does handle it in larger bottles. I used to buy it directly from the factory too. The one thing about bigger bottles is the shelf life. I have had more than one bottle dry up on me. But, it is so much more economical to buy in the larger bottles that I just replace them.