• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Front Brake Line

propster

Arctic Cat 375 4x4 Auto. IMO a poor design on the front brak hose allows the inside rim to rub on the brake line and it eventually wore a hole thru it. If I wanted to fix this on the cheap, and being that I don't have a trailer to haul it anywhere right now, could a guy splice that with a section of copper tube and some hose clamps? Only problem I see is that the hose is awfully thick - the ID is small, I'd say not even 1/8", so I may not be able to get copper tubing that small. And then the orifice of that would be smaller yet. What's the pros/cons of drilling the hose out a bit on either side to fit over say 1/8 or 3/16 tube? I'd make sure I flush the rubber particles out and clean it real well. Blow some holes in my theory if you would please. I'm thinking the shorter distance it has to travel and the pressure can't be near as much as on a vehicle that it should last for awhile, and if nothing else stop the leak from the reservoir and allow the right side brakes to work. Thanks for any advice.

For the amount of trouble you'd go through by trying to "fix it on the cheap", you'd be best served by just getting a new brake line. Not to mention a brake line that would work as intended.

Without seeing a pic of how your lines were routed, I'd have to question if it would be possible to route the line slightly differently to avoid contact with the rim. I would also see if there's been any recalls or service bulletins on this issue. If so, you can still get by on the cheap and have it done right. wink

I figured out a long time ago that brake lines are no place for hose clamps. The line pressure is to high. It may work short term,but eventually its going to blow apart. HOPEFULLY not when you need brakes because you will have none when it happens.

LEP, I appreciate the probably sound advice (you didn't grow up on a farm did you), but went ahead with my plan and so far working great. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe do a better repair down the road.

Moved off the farm when I was only 4 (family issues). Still kind of bitter about it now that I'm 42.

Either way, hopefully it holds together when you need it most.