• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Autumn Pannies?

blackdog1101

Where should I be looking for pannies this time of year? I went out on Sunday on Lake Minnetonka thinking I would find the sunnies in shallow water, but I never found them. I got a few perch and that's all. What type of depth and structure should I be looking for?

seeing such nice weather for this weekend, will be giving the gills one last shot. will start with sunken islands, following points outward, deeper rock piles, and possibly deeper holes in shallow bays. would think 20 ish ft., but some still might be on whats left of the deeper weed lines. it will be a great to be on the water no matter what. good luck!

Most good sized Bluegill vacate the shallow water around 75 degrees. From this point on I fish long slow tapering points into the closest deepest water available. Points that extend into the main basin are prime from late July through September. I use a slip bobber in 20-25 fow 12-14 ft down. Flu flu and a gulp 1" twister is hard to beat. Also look for any isolated flat in 25 fow. These flats are easy to see on a map. All the contour lines will be the same except for the 25 ft line will stray from the rest for a bit. The bigger the better. These flats will hold the largest bluegills in the system. And yes, If the lake thermoclines it has to be 25ft. Good luck. By the way the answer to your question is TURNOVER. Let it rest for a week. Then downsize and fish your ice fishing spots for first ice.

Good answers Pushbutton and Hotime....

Water temps are one of the key factors that drive gills to deep water this time of year.Same with crappies....10 fow on the outside edges of cabbage can be a spot but more often then not I'd look to 20 foot or deeper water.