• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV in State park

art321

I'll be up on the north shore MEA weekend, staying at Temperance River SP. I intend to do a lot of grouse hunting in addition to fishing and hiking while there. I'd like to take my ATV up on the trailer, keep it at the campground but my questions is, can I ride the ATV on the park road to the highway and on into the forests to grouse hunt? Not hunting in the park, of course, just using it to get to some trails and hunting areas. Thanks.

Found this in the list of State Park rules:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

6100.1900 MOTOR VEHICLES AND SNOWMOBILES IN STATE PARKS, FOREST CAMPGROUNDS, AND DAY USE AREAS.

Subpart 1. Motor vehicle use. Only motor vehicles licensed for use on Minnesota highways may be operated within state parks, forest campgrounds, and forest day use areas. The operator must have a valid driver's license. Snowmobiles or other motor vehicles may operate in a forest campground or forest day use area on a trail or road that is posted and designated for that use. Operation must comply with all applicable laws and rules.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

From my memory, most of the land around Temperence River is State Park land, which is not open to ATV's. I would also imagine that riding an ATV along 61 to get to trails would not be legal either. Best bet would be to trailer it up the Sawbill, park along the road and access trails that way.

Of course, just check when you get there, get a trail map to see where you can and can't ride.

All guesses on my part, so take it for what it's worth.

just what titelines said, check when you get up there. There's a few DNR and/or State Park offices around and they will be able to provide the info you need.

But yes, unless otherwise posted you cannot ride in a state park or on state highways.

Well I guess we'll just have the wife drive the truck up separately then. I don't want to have to pull up camp just to get the ATV out to hunt. I don't hunt from my ATV anyway. I prefer walking with the dog. This way I guess the family can run to Grand Marais, Lutsen and other streams for fun too. Thanks for your input.