• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

making in-line spinners.

anyone on here make their own spinners? i want to try making my own spinners. where do you buy the parts? anyone know stores that sell lure making parts in minnesota? or do i have to purchase everything online?

Thanks for any feedback.

newmember

Depending on what size you want to make, Thornes has quite a bit for the bigger (musky/pike) sizes. Otherwise the best sources are online with Janns Netcraft, Barlows, and Lureparts Online (formerly Stamina who used to be in twin cities) having everything you'll need.

thanks for the reply bonefish. yea i was just looking to make spinners for trout, white bass, smallies, and possibly northerns. i guess i'll just have to settle for purchasing online. it sucks though cause everything is 'buy in bulk' and i've never made lures before so i dont want to order wrong parts and have unnecessary items i wont ever need.

newmember

I order all my componants off the internet and don't have to buy "in bulk". I did these for bass and I think I paid about $30 for enough material to make 25 baits and I still had alot of wire and beads left over. The wire is american fishing wire which I use for jerkbait leaders anyway. Any questions let me know and I'll try and help you out.

mbou.jpg

mbou-1.jpg

Like Gunnr said, bulk isn't required from places like lureparts online. My kids and I just made close to 20 Panfish/trout spinners for under $25. We just keep things simple with a one piece body, eagle claw hooks, and use the same french spinner blades for each lure - I let them pick out different colored reflective tape and put that on blades to make different colored lures. If you enjoy making these ( and I know you will) nothing sucks about accidentally ordering the wrong thing. You will always find another use for it smile

could you advise me on how to make the finishing loop on the hook end,

I have some straight shaft wire with a pre-made loop in one end,

I saw a video on utube from Janns Netcraft and they used a rounded tip needle nose pliers, is this how you do it? or is there a better way you guys know of.

Thanks,

J.

I have to admit that my wife taught me how to make wire loops. She makes custom jewelry and makes hundreds of loops/day. If you are making smaller spinners with wire that's ~.024-.04, you can get by with jewelry sized pliers that you can get at a craft store. If you plan to make bigger sized baits, you'll want a larger pliers. The one I use for .051 and larger is a knipex.

Note: these are not your regular round nosed pliers that have a flat side. With these pliers, each tip is completely round. If you use a traditional round/needle nosed pliers, the loop will be D shaped and the grips from the pliers may leave marks on the wire that can cut your line.

There are hundreds of instructional videos on youtube. Just search for making wire loops and you will find tons of options. Many are for making jewelry - but it doesn't matter. The process is all the same.

I used regular needlenose pliers when I first did it and ended up with the "D" shape. I used a kleenex to provide the wire just a bit of protection from the teeth of my pliers.

They ran true and caught fish very well, in fact two of my top 3 producing inline spinners this year were homemade.

One of my favorites was bent to heck by a feisty silver salmon, but it was so simple to rebuild in like 2 minutes with a bit of extra wire.