• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Installing a kicker motor.

jiggin9

I'm in the market for a 9.9hp Mercury kicker motor to along with my 90hp Merc on a 1700 Lund Pro Sport. Is installing a kicker motor a difficult task? I would assume I need some sort of adapter to connect to my current steering setup. Can I connect that to my throttle arm to trim that motor up too? I've never installed one before but I like a challenge. I found an '02 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke on craigs list for $1900. Is that about what they are worth? Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

You'll need seperate shift and throttle controls for the kicker.

There are several after-market steering options for connecting the kicker to the big outboard.

Just my opinion, but $1,900 sounds pretty high for an 8 year old motor. Granted I don't really price them or shop them, but that sounds high. If it's got the remote controls with it it's closer to the right price ..... but I still think it's high.

Good luck, hope this helps a bit.

If its electric start and tilt n trim its about $400-$600 high in my opinion. If it doesnt have either I wouldnt even consider it. I searched high and low for a 4 stroke kicker and finally found a 92 yamaha 9.9 for $750. That was even a bit high but it was in excelent condition and LOW hours. I knew the guy I got it from.

Most Mid 90's - 2006 4 strokes with no electrics are in the $600- $1300 from what I have seen. Depending on condition of course.

If it were me I would look for something with electric all and in the 1995-2005 range for a few hundred les than what your looking at now.