• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV tracks

threeway

CrappieKiller, I have a 500 Polaris with tracks and also the Glacier II plow. How did you modify the plow system to get it to work with tracks. I was just about to sell my plow and get a CycleCountry plow setup with the plow extender, but it would seem that I could save some bucks by figuring out how to modify the plow I have. Any info about how to modify the plow would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Put the tracks on your 500. I have a set of M'tracks on mine and can go 35mph or maybe faster if I had to---never really needed to get anyplace in a big hurry now that I'm retired. Plenty of speed and power with my 500 Polaris. I mostly use 4H range because it is geared down with the tracks. I only use 4L range when I want to creep through some deep mud etc. Go for it.

Nope it's all stock. The tracks I have gear down my speed from 15%-25% so that's why I use 4H most of the time. They don't make my wheeler float but it doesn't sink way down in the mud below the water because of the big footprint of the tracks, so you just keep going.

You are making me feel better about my decision. The way it sounded from a lot of guys that the 500 was too small of a machine, just to handle the tracks!

Did you place these on yourself or did you have a professional do it? Time of this whole process?

I think you're fine with the 500. Here's one somewhat smaller that has tracks on the back. Yes, that's a Honda ATC 70 converted to run on a ski and tracks, and a 250R converted to a 2-wheeler. Life was so much fun back then! (neither of these are or were mine, so don't ask me about them, as I know nothing about them!)

atc70tracks.jpg

Bandit,

If you dont mind me asking, what did you end up paying for your tracks? With tax I was close to $4,000 including everything.

I talked to Polaris yesterday and they suggested to re-clutch my vehicle. Reason being that the belt may start slipping if you put to hard of a load on it? Like pulling a bigger fish house etc.... I know that you have not done this, but have you noticed anything like that?

threeway, I got a set of M'Tracks from up in Karlstad,Mn. They put them on for me but I could have done it myself. I was in a hurry to get up to LOTW that day. Mine were about $6K because I got the heavier duty tracks so I can put them on a side by side when I get one. It takes me about an hour to remove them and put the tires back on. 4 lug nuts and 1 bolt on each track. I also put on a set of their running boards so mud and snow doesn't fly up on me when I driving and they come off by removing 4 bolts for the summer. Satisfied with them so far. I did smoke the belt a little one time but I was in 4H and should have used 4L but they said I didn't have to re-clutch. Test drove their factory machines up there and they were all 500's. The price included taxes, installation and the running boards.If you're just using them on a 4-wheeler they have a model that runs about the same price as the Polaris tracks.I talked to J.T. up there and he was very knowledgeable about their track system as well as other makes so I could compare features of each.

CrappieKiller01,

You have the quick mount Polaris plow that you drive up to and it snaps onto to the plow mount? Mine hooks on with the tracks on, but it's way up in the air and the plow is facing down toward the ground. Does the extension bring the plow down so it's level like when I have my tires on?

no it does not lower it down. i like this angle better for the fact that the frame of the plow does not hit anymore on the mounting plate of it. i actually measured my extension and it is a 16" piece of 1x2 1/8 inch steel tubing. this way i can 45 my plow yet if i need to. i cut the frame right below the angle selector and butt welded on the 16" inch piece on. after this was done a took two pieces of 1x1 1/2" 1/8" steel plate over the butt welds i did.