• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broken real seat

A friend of mine broke the real seat on a musky pole. My question is how do we fix it. We came up with this procedure:

1. Cut the real seat out on both sides just into forgrip and rear handle.

2. Then epoxy and piece into rod to connect real seat, rod and rear grip.

3. Epoxy new real seat onto the piece just epoxied into rod.

4. Then epoxy rear grip onto the piece that is epoxied into the real seat and foregrip.

Does this sound like it will work?

Thanks

Brian

First question I have is what brand is this rod? If it has any warranty on it I would suggest using it.

The reel seat is usually the first thing to go onto the rod blank, and not an easy thing to replace.

The rod isn't broken, the nut to tighten down on the foot of the real is cracked. So when you tighten it down it never gets tight enough to hold the reel on. The rod is to old to have a warrenty on it.

Sorry for not writing it more clearly. Hope this additional info helps.

Thanks

1st thing to try would to soak the rear cork and seat in boiling water to see if that will melt the glue and allow it to slide off. If not you need to cut the seat and rear cork off. You will need to buy a new rear grip and seat. The process would be to refit the seat, then the rear cork. You can use masking tape to build up bushings to slide the seat on, same with the rear seat. Just be very sure to completely encapsulate the tape with the glue to seal it from the elements. 30 minute epoxy works well, stay away from the 5 minute.

Instead of masking tape I would use the woven drywall tape as the open weave really allows the expoxy to permeate the tape. On a musky rod I would like a more resiliant mount that that provided by masking tape. Oh, and since you're going to go through all of this work, don't use a cheap reel seat.