• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident

I was just curious if anyone has any experience with this line. I was thinking that I'd like the Trident 11' due to portability and ease of maneuvering. I really want to get a fishing yak so I've been researching different ones and watching sales and stuff. I was at first thinking of buying used since I don't wanna spend much more than $600. But then I found a good deal on a OK Trident and everything I've read has been pretty positive. Thanks! smile

I too just finished doing all of my research on fishing yaks, and all that I will tell you is that the reviews on the Trident are all very good. I didn't get a chance to paddle one before I purchased mine, but I know that people tend to like these.

Yeah, seems to be a crowd pleaser, except I heard one review where the guy loved it except the scupper plugs got extremely worn after running in a shallow river a few times, and another person said that one of the scuppers made a bit of noise while moving really fast. But I don't know much about scupper stuff. What kind did you purchase ted4887??

Oh okay, I read up a bit on those. For some reason I think I'd like a sit on top. How's the sit in style working out? An SOT would be nice for the summer months, as long as you don't mind getting a bit wet, but will be a little less fun in the fall with the water temps dropping. Ha.

I saw that Cabela's ad! That's what's pushing me toward the OK, at first I just categorized them as out of my range, I was looking to spend $400-500 on my first kayak. But now that price is making me reconsider, especially since they look awesome and everything I've heard has been pretty good. I did see that picture, I've been watching this thread for a few weeks. Thanks!!

I'm in a pickle, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on $670 when I've never kayaked and don't know much about it, even though I read great things about the OK. I found out I can get a Pelican Castaway 116 for $380, which has gotten decent reviews, nothing like the Tridents' but it's half the price and is probably better in my range....hmm...

Only thing I'll say is that I've heard some not so good things about Pelican, and I'd suggest buying the best thing you can afford right off the bat, otherwise you will be wanting to upgrade after a short time, and shelling out more money while trying to sell something that doesn't retain value well (the Pelican).

If you were to purchase the OK, you could likely sell it for what you paid at least, being that you are buying on sale...in the event that you decided kayaking isn't for you..unlikely wink

Alright, back to Trident 11. Done a bunch of research and it sounds like for $630, you'd be getting a heck of a kayak! And if I got something in the mail that if I spend over $500 at Cabela's I get $150 on a cash card, so I can use that and get my paddle and anchor and other things. Now I just have to get out to Cabela's this week and make the purchase, I'm hoping if they don't have it physically in the store, they would be able to order one and get it shipped there.

I should have chimed in sooner. I was going to get that same one, and was told the same exact thing. Like I said earlier though, if you decide you like the sit in's, my Vapor is always a lot of fun to fish outof. I never have problems with speed or tracking. It's at least worth a look.

Cabela's didn't really have anything. So now I think I might just give up til spring, unless I find a deal on hsolist that I can't pass up. I saw one yesterday that interested me, but it was sold by the time I called on it. Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120, year old, with paddle, and was in very good condition for $500. I thought it'd be fun to put my own rod holders and anchor trolley on because it wasn't an angler edition. Gander is starting their end of the year sale, but I only saw one that I considered and I'm assuming it's gonna be sold out everywhere much like the Cabela's end of the year sale. But we'll see.

have ya looked at the perception sport caster angler 12.5 yak at gander, its $599.00. need 2 scupper plugs besides the paddle etc

i see the trident is no longer on sale, bummer. you could of called the 800 number, ordered it then done an instore pickup which would of been free.

They didn't offer the in-store pickup on the Trident. I tried and I wanted to get the $150 cash card (which needed to be in store purchases). And yeah, the nearest Gnder Mtn had a sale April 20-22 and they had the Perception Caster 12.5 on sale for $400! But they were fresh out.

Just my .02, but have you considered looking at the Malibu Kayaks brand of fishing kayaks? GM was eliminating them from their stores earlier this year and may still have some of them around. Either way, you will get years of fun out of the one you decide on.

With my unsuccessful attempt at trying to buy my first kayak last summer a failure. I'm back at it this winter, researching online, and watching local ads and classifieds. I have my heart set on an Ocean Kayak and I am hopeful that I will get one here by the time the ice thaws!

Good luck to you. I also am looking at changing over to the Ocean Kayak brand this winter. If I see a few deals, I will let you know.

I would appreciate that!! I would love to have a yak this summer, I feel like I would get a ton of use out of it as I don't have a boat and am always looking to fish. I just don't wanna spend a few hundred on a unit that I'm going to want to upgrade shortly after. I just have my heart set on an OK (might be a bad thing) even though they are a bit spendy for me.