• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SS prop suggestions--Alumcraft w/ Yamaha 150

Fish&Fowl

I have an '06 Alumacraft Tournament Sport 185 with a 150 Yammy 4-stroke. I'm looking for anyone with a similar setup that can recommend a brand of prop and compare my top speed and rpm's. With my aluminum 19 pitch I can get about 45 mph trimmed up at about 5700 rpm. I tried a buddy's stainless 21 pitch and got 49 mph and the same rpm.

check yamahas performance bulletins. Lots of prop tests for all hp. Generally look for something that weighs similar to get ideas. In addition with (all things being equal)SS props you need to drop down in pitch(2 inches is standard) to get = or better performance than AL props. Your buddies prop was most likely a smaller diameter, hence the better speed, lower drag, trade off being slower take off. What you want to look for is a prop that allows to hit max rpms under average to slightly below average load, that way when you are loaded to the max the engine doesnt have to labor too much. Regardless how you use the boat most often is how you should prop the boat. Pulling tubers... and full livewells with 3 husky buddies lower pitch, just yourself and want to go fast faster pitch, some of both prop in between.