• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1988 evinrude 40hp smokes a lot

icefisherman

My dad has a 40 hp vro evinrude, when i took it out sat. it would smoke really bad at idle and while driving. It ran fine other than a little bit of a rough idle. Could it be getting too much oil? The oil in the resevior is pretty old too. Is there something that regulates the oil flow? It had a little oily fluid comming out by the prop but I think that is a seal. Any other ideas?

The VRO unit has a oil pump and a fuel pump. That pump is driven by an impulse hose coming from the crank case. VRO failure is a pump that is not pumping fuel and or oil.

A rotted hose or bad connection is one cause for that failure the other is the diaphragms in the pump wear out.

Pumping excess oil is not something known to happen with a VRO.

Is that cloud you see stream? That steam could be from an impeller on its way out, bad t-stat, or a gasket.

They are not known to "overmix", however, any restriction, impedance or other interuption in the flow of the gas will result in a rich mixture. As the engine runs and the pump pulses, the correct amount of oil is pumping, just not enough gas coming to the party. Check all connections and change the filter.