• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Triple towing on Minnesota and Wisconsin.

dae06

I have an F-350 Ford diesel pulling a 27' Fifth wheel. The total length is 45' 8". Anyone know the total lenght I can triple tow a boat behind my RV in these two States? I am looking at a Lund Angler SS 1650 and will need to measure that, but I would like to know if this is possible.

In Minnesota it's 70ft(with max fifth-wheel trailer length of 28ft) in Wisconsin it's 65ft(with permit)

MINNESOTA: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft; maximum trailer length 45 ft; maximum RV height 13.5 ft.; maximum lengths for two/three combination 75/70 ft. (Three-vehicle combo must be a fifth-wheel trailer, maximum length 28 ft. + watercraft, ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile). Riding allowed in travel trailers, fifth-wheel trailers and truck campers.

RV Safety Requirements: Over 3,000 lbs.: trailer brakes, two safety chains, glass mirror and hitch to safety stands. Over 6,000 lbs.: breakaway switch also.

State Driving Laws: Headlights on during rain, sleet, snow or hail. Right turn on red is allowed, unless posted otherwise. At least two riders required for carpool lane. Mobile police scanners not allowed.More Information: Minnesota State Patrol, 444 Cedar St., Suite 130, St. Paul MN 55101-5130 Emergency number: 911

WISCONSIN: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length 48 ft.;maximum RV height 13.5 ft.; maximum combined length for two vehicles 65 ft.; maximum combined length for three vehicles 65 ft (with permit only). Riding is allowed in truck campers. Riding is allowed in fifth-wheel trailers, but no one under age 12 unless accompanied by a person 16 or older; trailer must be equipped with a two-way voice communication between driver and occupant(s).

RV Safety Requirements: All trailers require safety chains; trailers over 3,000 lbs. require trailer brakes.State Driving Laws: Right turn on red is allowed, unless posted otherwise. More Information: Wisconsin State Patrol, 4802 Sheboygan Ave., Rm. 551, Madison WI 53707-7912; (608) 266-0264

Emergency number: 911

Valv, google "Woodalls 2010 driving laws". It should be the first find. Its a RV HSOforum that sends out mailings to all state patrols yearly asking about the laws related to RVing.

Caman is exactly correct with one addition I would like to add regarding Wisconsin. I looked this up today (2011) in the Dept. of Transportaion sites for both states: In Wisconsin the triple tow length is 65' if the second vehicle in the 3 vehicle combination has brakes adequate to control the moving and stopping of the third vehicle. If not, the total 3 vehicle length is limited to 60'.

Boy, 65' makes it tough in Wisconsin. It won't work with my crew cab and 16' boat trailer and motor. I'm at just over 68'.

BTW, I didn't get the Lund metioned above.

Boy, 65' makes it tough in Wisconsin. It won't work with my crew cab and 16' boat trailer and motor. I'm at just over 68'.

Just one addded question. I looks like Wisconsin has reciprocity in regards to 3 vehicle combinations. Does this mean if my vehicle is registered in Minnesota, I can follow my states guidelines regarding 3 vehicle combinations of 70'?