• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance X28C Question

mnviking28

I have two depth finders in my boat. The console mounted unit is an X28C. The bow mounted unit is an LM520C that runs through a MinnKota universal sonar setup. I got the boat about a year ago and they have both worked flawlessly ever since I got it. Saturday I was out fishing and they both quit at exactly the same time. I had the bow mount down to control the drift and was sitting in the drivers seat with the foot pedal stretched out across the floor. Both graphs were on and shut off just like you shut off the switch. I have checked the fuses, all good. They are wired through the toggle just like the instruction book said. When the toggle is off, the fuse panel it is tied to reads 12.5 volts, as soon as I turn on the toggle, it drops to 10.9 to 11.2. Obviously something is causing an excessive current draw, but what? When I try to turn them on the screen comes on for a second or two then shuts off. I have never seen anything like this and am completely stumped. Anyone have any suggestions?

Try disconnecting the power cords to the two units and trying the toggle switch again, to see if you still get the voltage drop. And/or try it with only 1 unit connected, and then the other unit. The voltage drop sounds like your problem (the units turn themselves off when the voltage is too low) so you need to identify the source of the voltage drop. Good luck getting it figured out.

That is the other goofy part, they are wired through seperate toggles and it doesn't matter which one I turn on, the voltage drop is there. I have a real tough time believing that they both shorted out at the exact same second and that it didn't burn a fuse. None of the other accessories in the boat seem to be having an issue. I am not sure how the networking works (on the transducer and gps portion)-could that resistor in the network have burnt out and be backfeed into the system?

May have found my issue. I had the boat in to a dealer last week to have the power trim fixed under warranty. Upon further review, found a wire pinched between the motor and the stopper. The tech didn't route it properly when he replaced the trim motor. I dropped it off at the dealer to have it looked at as this needs to get fixed before I can search for the graph problems. Hopefully when they fix the pinched wire, the graphs will go back to normal. I will post with results...

Well...the final verdict is a strange one, but I will share none the less. There was a fuse holder back by the battery that was corroded. It let power through until there was a draw, then the voltage would drop off because there was too much resistance. I checked the fuse, but not the inside of the holder. With the boat being almost new, it never crossed my mind that it could have been bad. Replaced fuse holder and fuse, everything works again. Ran it for 3 hours last night, no issues.