• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer tip

Gordie

In the past two weeks I have had run ins with bad trailer bearings.

Mine was the first and I re-pack my bearings twice a year the second was this morning, a buddys trailer, both times I ran into problems it was a Sundayand its harder to find places open.

My Tip is to when you check or repack your bearings find out what bearings you will need and have a spare set that you can carry with you for long trips and what tools you may need. I will be trying to figure out a place in my boat or truck that I can keep an extra set of bearings.

what you will need is

fully greased bearings

a inner hub seal

a extra king nut

These parts can be stored in a Zip lock bag

Most places will sell kits for your trailers but some trailers are not set up for that as I found out with my trailer

It doesnt take a ton of tools to change out a bearing but what will make it easier is a flat metal file (in case of burrs on the stub axel)most leathermen tools have a file on them it works in a pinch

a triangle flie ( small one this will clean up any damaged threads on the axle)

Hammer and chisel or long punch. A stout standerd screwdriver will also work ( to knock out old races in hub)

wrench ( to fit the king nut) The Hammer and punch will work also

Needle nose pilers. ( for cotter pin) leatherman tool is in my takle box

Its nice to have a few rags also and some extra grease as well

Its not fun when this happens but if your somewhat prepared for it you will not have to leave your rig sitting along side a the road.

Its also not a bad idea to do a precheck of the bearings before you pull your boat to the lake. Only takes a few moments to do this and it can really save bigger headaces down the road.

the one thing i use to do on the fire truck pump bearings was to take an old inner and outer race and grind the outside edge off so the would slide in the hub without any pressure. this way when i needed to drive the new races in, i already had a pushing tool to pound on when placing them. The other thing is to get a cheap bearing grease press, looks like a cone with a zerk in the end. you can keep them clean until needed keep a grease gun with you and grease, and that way if your buddy bearing needs a touch you can hit it and you can pack grease in the press. not sure what kind of vehicle you drive or if your trailer has a place on the hitch where you could mount a small aluminm box to keep this stuff in? I was cleaning under the rear seats in my dodge and was amazed at what i found. i would always carry two extra seals for the one that you dont get in straight. also a brass punch is the best thing for the old races it wont damage the hub. also using quaility high temp grease for bearings.