• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alum Boat Painting?

AJ

I posted this in the equipment forum too, but have not had a response...

Does anyone have good info on what a person should pay to have an aluminum boat painted camo brown? Basically a currently unpainted boat prepared and professionally painted with the right products, by a person who knows what they are doing. A good quality job. Also, anyone have a source for me to contact? Maybe a person who has had it done recently? Thanks.

I know this isn't exactly an answer, but, you could also consider a camo wrap. I'm not real familiar with them, but there was another post on here with pictures of a honeycomb looking graphic wrap. looked nice. guy paid $400 for it, but that was to a friend of his, so it would probably be more to anyone else. Just another option.

I just did my 16' duck boat a few weeks ago as well and it was really easy. Primed it with a kilz type primer sealer that was suitable for use on metal and then actually painted (sprayed on with a small compressor) some outdoor porch paint that the guy at menards color matched to be the same as the camp spray paint they sell. It has only been on the water twice since then, but so far so good, and the gritty texture of the porch paint is a plus as far as keeping things from getting too slippery when wet. I guess I'll find out this fall how durable it really is though.

Not sure of the cost...

But if you have the time to paint it yourself you can get it done for next to nothing...

1. Sand/scuff up the area you want to paint and then wash & dry it

2. Apply primer (an etching primer, as this is acidic and will bond to the aluminum)

3. After primer has dried apply water resistant paint 2-4 coats

4. let paint harden for ten good days before hitting the water

5. If you're unhappy with the results you're out $30 and can then have it professionally painted smile

Yeah but then it will cost alot more cause the paint will need to be stripped off to bare metal. I think a good estimate is as follows.

prep bare alum with 180 on D.A. sander 6 hours for inside and out. $350.00

self etch primer 2 hours plus materials $250.00

3 color Camo paint job 4 hours plus materials (9 qts plus hardener & reducer)

$1000.00

total around $1600.00 to $2000.00

I did my 20 foot alaskan this spring.

1 gallon of aircraft paint stripper 80.00

1 gallon of prep solvent something like 70 bucks

1 gallon of self etch primer 110.00

1 gallon of parker sand tan 1 qt of green parker 1 qt of parker brn. 130.00

with tape and other odds and ends almost 500 bucks for me to do it myself.I have paint and primer left over.