• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Out of breath from chasing runners?

LwnmwnMan2

If you have some bushes or certain types of trees (most likely wild) that keep putting out runners into other areas, you can use Glyphosate (Round-Up) on these runners without harming said bush or tree.

Glyphosate (Common name Round-Up) does not go below the soil, so if you spray the runners, it'll cause dieback with the runner, but the bush will still be intact.

If you have suckers that are coming off of the trunk, you'll want to mechanically control those.

This tip is for those that are tired of constant trimming Lilac and other bushes that keep putting up runners 3-20" from the original bush.

You need to find a brush / stump killer, not just round-up.

Round-up works by killing the leaves, thereby starving the shoot.

If it's a larger stump, there's too much energy still stored, so the shoots keep coming up.

I hear a product advertised by Fertilome that you should be able to get at a larger garden center.

If you have a local feed mill / farm supply, you could drop in and ask them as well.

You'll have to probably "paint" the product on with a sponge, as it will be quite a strong solution, and will kill everything around it if you don't.

If it's in the middle of a brush area, or if you're looking to re-landscape the area once the stump is dead, then don't worry about it, spray away.

The best way would to have the stump ground out.

A 4' stump would probably cost about $100.

My guy charges about $1.50 / inch, but he's been charging me that for 10+ years.

Don't take my word as gospel, but I don't think Willow is going to be a great stump to carve.

It's a soft stringy wood that'll be hard to "chisel", plus it'll break down quickly once it is dead.

It's going to be hard to completely kill that size of a stump. I was hoping you had a typo earlier and meant 12" x 4'.

A willow is pretty much a weed and will keep going and going and going and going.

BUT, with that said, check around. As I said, I could be wrong too.

Might want to make a post about it up in the equipment / expert forum, see if anyone else has had a carving from a willow or if someone does.

I know Powerstroke is a tree guy, although not a carver, but maybe he's run into it before.

Any wood can be carved depending on what you want done with it.

Willow, in general, is a terrible wood, for just about anything. Its wet and soggy, very weak and has a long stringy grain. Its usually rotten or has some sort of fungus because of its moisture content.

You certainly can have it carved, but in general once willow drys out is is very weak and punky and will break apart. I would hate to see you spend money on something that won't last more than a few years.

As far as killing off tree STUMPS from sprouting, use something designed for brush. Garlon works well as does anything with the active ingredient Triclopyr. This is in Ortho Brush-B-Gone and similar products. Mix appropriately. More is not always better.

The only part of a stump that is alive is the outer cambium layer. This is the in the outer 1/4-1/2 inch of the stump near the bark. You only need to spray or paint a ring on the outer edge of the tree. If you spray an entire 12" stump you are only wasting your $$$.

This will kill the tree so DO NOT USE ON LIVE TREES!! If your live tree has sprouts coming from the trunk you should prune them off. This is also a sign of stress, so you should evaluate the tree and see if it needs something. Does it need water, have the roots or main limbs been damaged, has it been affected by insect or disease?

IF they are still small and pliable, just keep mowing them down, there's not alot else you can do.

IF you don't care about the main plant that's most likely right off to the edge of the turf area, then a decent broadleaf herbicide will take care of the shoots growing in the turf, with some slight damage to the "mother" tree. I put "mother" in quotes because as with most invasive plants, one person's form of using the term mother can be drastically different than another's. wink

If they're already too big to mow, then cut them off with a shear and use Powerstroke's above posts and treat according to the label.

Can you burn? We live in the country so if there's a big stump I want removed and the tree guy (when I need him to com out) doesn't grind out a stump, I usually build a big fire over it and burn it down. I typically dig a ways down around the stump too before burning. It gets the job done very well and works nicely if there's not a lot of other trees and vegetation nearby.

Also, what kind of sumac? I just bought a nice Tiger Eye sumac that I planted in our gardens. My wife thought it was ugly at first but now wants me to get some more of them.