• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Zero turn purchase dilemma

Valv

I've been looking to buy a zero turn mower.

I am looking at the $ 3000 range, what is a good model ? I have 1.5 acres to mow, mostly flat but some rough and some weedy areas.

Also am I better skip this price range and step up to the $5000 range ? But I will have to get in a serious discussion with my CFO which i rather not get into unless there's a good reason grin

Valv -

I think you can answer your own question between the $3,000 and $5,000 price range. If the value is there, it makes it much easier to make the jump.

With that said, you can buy a nice used commercial unit for around $4,500 in a month or two, when the new guys start to realize they don't make any money cutting grass at $30 / pop.

Watch the HSO classifieds, as well as the list that Craig has and you'll stumble across a deal.

With the TimeCutter Z and models like that at the big box stores, remember that some of those models are basically throwaways, including the engines and spindle assemblies, and COULD have issues even getting the other parts.

IMO, I'd find the local commercial dealer, go in and kick some tires. Find out what model you'd need, something in the 20 hp, 48-52" range for a deck, would suit you find, you don't need anything much bigger.

Get a couple of model numbers and then keep your eyes open on the classifieds, you'll score a deal.

Thank you for your reply I was really counting on your advise. I wish I can wait, but my old mower dies 5 days ago and I can put up hay in my yard right now. Also I need financing, since I had some other unexpected expenses, and I don't want to pull money from savings.

I was looking at ToroZ5035 , Gravely Z50, Ariens, etc which are in the $ 3000 range.

Otherwise I have my eyes set on Exmark Quest or JD Z445

I purchased the X-Mark Quest from the Waconia Farm Supply, and could not be happier. This is the 3rd season with it. It is truly a time saver as I mow in about 1/2 the time it would take with a tractor style rider. Just thought i would add when my son comes to visit us the first thing he does is jumps on the zero turn as it is just fun to mow at the high speed.

Also, Valv, if you're looking JUST for a mower, you could track down a walkbehind, probably pick up a very nice unit for under $1500 and get rid of the membership to the gym. laugh

I currently have a 23 hp / 52" walkbehind and use it as much as my 31 hp 60" Kubota diesel ZTR.

If you're going to buy from a dealer, ask them if they have any units available for loaners if your mower goes down for warranty work.

Well guess what...I went out and bought a new Ariens Zoom 50 with Kawasaki 22hp and 50" deck.

I toke it home, mowed my lawn in 1 hour and 11 minutes (impressed), then I shut it off to clean it and now it won't start anymore. Starter makes a click and squeaky sounds and it started to smoke, I assume starter motor is shot.....

Mower will go back tomorrow morning first thing, and I will ask my money back (actually the contract back).

I thought Kawasaki were good engines.....

I wish I would have seen this earlier. I would have recommended not buying an Ariens. I have one and it's a maintenance nightmare. Been through a couple starters, numerous belts, welded the deck back together, etc.

I've been told their other mowers are pretty good quality but everyone I know with their zero turns hates them.