• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1967 Evinrude 9.5 hp Sportwin impeller change

SpecialK

I just bought this motor with a 14' Alumacraft (old as well). The registration ran out in '03 and I am assuming it hasn't been run since then. I figured I should put a new impeller in it, bought one and went to put it in but cant figure out where to disconnect the shift linkage at.

The old '57 johson I used to have had an access plate to get at it but this one doesn't appear to.

Do I just need to shift it so the lower unit drops down far enough to get to it or do I need to tear apart the side covers (massive job)?

Thanks in advance

Special K,

I have the same motor and everything works good except when I last had it in to have the carb cleaned the mechanic said the missing when running was electrical. Probably needs new coils or points. I am looking to get rid of the motor and was hoping to get $150 if you need it. Respond here or else it's listed in the for sale forum.

Will let you know Mr Wizard. I left today for a two week work road trip so it'll be a few. The rest of this looks pristine, I am only changing the impeller as a pm type thing as it hasn't been run (as far as I know) in at least 7 years.

I've got the same motor doing the same thing.

I disconnected the shift linkage but the lower unit will still not drop down. What else might be holding it together?

Positive all bolts are removed?

Splines on the D-shaft may be stuck

Just wanted to put a quick thanks for all the info. Finally made it back into town yesterday and got the impeller put in today. It took all of 20 mins which was nice.

Am headed back up to where the boat is tomorrow to start pulling it over in the water and hope it starts smile

The motor fired up after 6 pulls in the drive way. Shut it down quickly as I only wanted to know if it would start. Took it down to the water and dropped it in fired it up and water is coming out so I am in good shape.

It's good to have sunburned knees again...