• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Head gasket installation

MN Angler

I wrote on here a week or so ago about a problem I have been having with my 15 HP evinrude and the first thing I was instructed to do was to change my head gasket. I heard this is a pretty easy job but for some reason am unable to find instructions anywhere on how to go about doing this. I am finally going to have some time this coming weekend so I will most likely try and replace it then. Does anyone know of where online I may find instructions on how to do this? I have done quite a bit of work on this particular outboard so am fairly familar with them but written instructions always give me piece of mind when taking things apart.

Thanks all

MN Angler

im not sure where to get instructions at. but you can take pictures of the engine before you take the head off, and put the bolts in a piece of card board in the order they are in the motor. it might take a little bit of tapping with a piece of wood or plastic mallet. dont use anything metal to tap on it

I have never had any luck finding instructions on the net. seems everyone tells you to buy a manual. if you need torque specs or other info i have a manual for 1971 to 1989 1 & 2 Cyl. Jonny-rudes.

Here is the breakdown of your engine. # 14 being the cyl head, #22 being the bolts. 6 bolts holding it on. you may have to take off the coils, no biggie though. Remove the 6 bolts and gently tap if you have but I've never had trouble getting the head to come off. Clean both surfaces well, reassmeble, use no sealer, start with the 2 center screws working in a crossing pattern to torque. I like to go incrementally (start with the torque wrench at 1/3 of the torque, then 2/3,) until I've reached the desired torque, 18-20 ft lbs (216-240 inch lbs) of torque in this case.

15jonny.png

Wow thanks Everyone for the input. Awesome illustration boatfixer I am definately going to print that off and let that guide me. Looks like it should not be too bad of a project. Thanks again

MN Angler

I finally was able to get the new head gasket installed. The old one was in really rough shape. Took the boat out this last weekend and it ran awesome. Thanks again everyone for the great advice.

MN Angler