• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On board charger?

triggertrav

I have a dual bank on board charger and wondering if they wear out? it is dated 2001 and it isn't putting a charge on my batteries. i had it hooked up for 24 hours and no change to battery charge. either it is shot (if that happens) or in need to check connections. fuses looked good and the light turns on when it is plugged in.

thanks.

Well, like any electronic piece, they can certainly break at any time. Did you put a voltmeter on the batteries when it is plugged in? You should be reading in the vicinity of 13.5 volts. Are your batteries known to be good? When they go, they just won't accept a charge.

batteries are less than a year old and stored properly, so i don't think it is that.

I will have to check to see if it is kicking out any juice when it is plugged in. the batteries read about 12.5 - 12.7 when the charger is running.

thanks

batteries are less than a year old and stored properly, so i don't think it is that.

I will have to check to see if it is kicking out any juice when it is plugged in. the batteries read about 12.5 - 12.7 when the charger is running.

thanks

I would say than that the charger is not putting out because what you are reading there is nominal battery voltage. Even when the charger brings the batteries to a full charge and goes into maintenance mode, you should be reading around 13 volts on a voltmeter. Unplug the charger and the batteries will read around 12.9v which represents a full charge. Did you verify the fuses are all ok? If they are than I would venture a guess that the charger itself is toast.

I'm debating getting an on-board charger, but wondering if they get ruined from all the rough water bouncing in a boat.

I wouldn't have it any other way....its super convenient, especially with two trolling motor batteries! smile I think the good brands (I have a guest) are fine and like any other digital or elctrionic components it comes down to how well they are made/designed. No different than the depth finders we all have on our boats and they take a beating just fine. I would think a standard lead acid battery would be more susceptable to damage from bouncing in rough water than the on board charger......