• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

15 HP Evinrude

MN Angler

Hi all, I have a question about my 1983 15 HP Evinrude model number E15RCTA , E0202904. Last weekend I fired it up and noticed it was not running on full idle speed. I thought it may be a fouled plug so I pulled them and found that my top plug was pretty wet with what I believe is water and the answer as to why my motor is running the way it is. I tried new plugs and the same thing happened. Can anyone tell me why is this happening? What could be the possible solutions to this problem? Thanks everyone for your input.

MN Angler

If it is water, the head gasket is usually the problem.

Was it beaded up on the plug? If you hit your palm with the plug, water will bead up there to.

If you are convinced its water, pulling the head off and inspecting and putting in a new head gasket is a quite simple and straight forward job.

The only part of the gasket thats faulty is on that cylinder only the bottom part of the gasket if OK. But you still have to replace the whole gasket its a one piece gasket.

The only part of the gasket thats faulty is on that cylinder only the bottom part of the gasket if OK. But you still have to replace the whole gasket its a one piece gasket.

Yup he's right.

What you will look for on the gasket is the inner sealing ring will be fairly clean looking except where the leak was. It will be dirty/rusty/stained looking.