• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

opinions? alumancraft 165 classic

bugbottle

howdy folks, I'm looking for a new boat and would like to hear your opinions on the 165 classic alumacraft. I'm thinking of getting one with a 60 HP mercury 4 stroke. I want to fish some bigger lakes, not the greatlakes though, and I want to be safe and comfortable. Do you folks think this would be a good choice? Anybody own one? are they good on big lakes. I was looking at one at a dealership the other day. thanks

BB - I have a 01 Navigator 165 which is the same boat you are looking at. I have tiller, 50HP Mercury 4 stroke (rated to 60 which is one difference versus the classic tiller which are rated to 50). I like this boat alot, it is big and wide enough for "big water" - have had it on Mille Lacs, Leech and even Superior but you need to drive it carefully when the wind comes up. Never felt nervous but you will get wet if you're not paying attention. If you are going on bigger water wave wackers are a must IMO. That being said I use it mostly on smaller lakes, I live on Prior and it is perfect fishing boat for this lake. I hit low 30's (31 - 32) with me and full livewell, high 20's with 2 adults and mid 20's with 3 adults (again with a full live well). The fishability is good, good storage, huge livewell, rod storage for 8 footers. All in all it is a good package for what it is. To throw another brand out there, you might want to look at a lund rebel - basically lunds version of the classic. I think both are pretty nice. Hope this helps - Paul

It's a good choice and will do what you need. If you want more stability and space (beam), then look at the wider Navigators & Dominators. Of course, your cost goes up due to a bigger boat and then you need a bigger motor to compensate for extra weight.

Well, I have that exact boat! I just got it over the winter and I have had it out 5 times so far. I have a 2010 Alumacraft Classic 165 with a merc 60hp EFI 4 stroke and I upgraded to a 24 volt 70lb Minn Kota power drive.

I have to say that so far I LOVE the boat and it has performed flawlessly to date. I have had it on everything from trolling motor only lakes to Lake Michigan. Like the others above have said, it will handle rough water pretty well. I was in 2-3 footers on lake michigan and although I did get wet (the only downside) I took it easy and never felt unsafe. Thats about the limit. The hull rides very nicely and the overall construction has impressed me thus far.

Motor wise, I like this 60 4 stroke a lot...it is VERY easy on gas, very smooth and very quiet. Like a typical 4 stroke, they don't come out of the hole quite as fast as a 2 stroke but top end with 3 of us and all the gear etc. is right at 30mph at about 5800 rpm. I will say that with a full live well and 3 people on board (A lot of weight) it does struggle a bit to get on plane but it is manageable. I am actually surprised how much difference a full live well makes! Overall, I have to say I am very pleased with the set up and I have yet to be skunked on the boat which is a good omen, hehe.

I am looking forward to taking it onto Whitefish Lake the first week of June grin

thanks for the help folks, really glad to get all the opinions i can. Knowing how much you like yours crfan1, makes me feel more confident. keep em coming. Ive been looking at boats till im cross eyed and I really like the looks of the classic 165. I went to look at a Lund 1725xl tonight except for the extra lenght I still though the Classic was probably a better choice. Anybody know if the sides of the classic are as high as the Lund? looked at dominator and navigator but thought they might be more than I need and might not be suitable when I want to try small lakes with not so great launches. But my main concern is to be able to get out on the bigger lakes with confidence. I was thinking of getting a galvinized roller trailer to go with it. thanks all

I honestly think for what you seem to need, the Classic is the right boat. What you describe is what I do with mine. One plus is it fits in the garage, lol! However, Like wish-i-were fishin said, just use common sense on the big water. Will there be days you can't go on a big lake? Absolutely! I mean, I take mine on Lake Michigan every chance I can but it has to be the right wind or it's plan B (i.e. smaller inland lake).

The Lund and the Alumacraft are both good boats. For me it came down to the dealer.