• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which motor should I get

I'm looking for opinions and experiences with small 9hp - 15hp short shaft motors? I have a 14ft lund without a motor and I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. Been surfing Craigs for days on end. Johnson, Mercury, Evinrude, Mariner.... I'm starting to think that all motors are basically the same, it's just a personal choice now, am I wrong on that? Seems like they hold value too. I'm finding 70's models still going for $700. My boat is older (early 70's) so I don't really think a new new motor is the way to go, although it would be nice..... Anyway just looking for any experiences or thoughts, good or bad. Thanks.

Gone through two Evinrudes.

1975 Evinrude short shaft 9.9hp. Only ran for one season, mechanic I brought to said this model year was troublesome, and later years updated several issues.

1988 Evinrude short shaft 9.9hp. Had some problems starting too, but after a thorough check by mechanic is running great! Had to replace a part last year. Now sometimes still requires about 10 pulls or so to start.

I am so sick of pull motors. Looking forward to an electronic ignition! Another reason I am getting a new boat this year.

Good Luck. Since I've only had Evinrudes, and not much luck, I'd stay away from them. We used to have an older Johnson too, not sure of year, that eventually died. I have some memories of being a kid and out on the lake with my dad with a dead motor. Not fun at all.

I agree with the comments presented here.. in general, it's pretty tough to go wrong, especially the newer you get.

One thing to consider is if Mercury offered their twist grip shifting in the era you're considering, which some guys really like, which allows you to go from forward to reverse by twisting the grip only, no extra levers to pull.

marine_man