• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric trolling motor for backtrolling recomendations

CRAZYEYES

Any one have any advice for a good quality electric trolling motor at a fairly reasonable price that is good for backtrolling. My biggest transom electric that I have and have been using is a 42 lb minnkota but its not quite enough on those windy days. It will be mostly used on my 16 ft lund rebel and maybe on my 14ft but the 14 takes my shortshaft 4hp so I really dont need it for that. I do a lot of backtrolling and looking for something that has good power in reverse and definately want variable speed. Minnkota traxxis?? Moterguide varimax? Any opinions? Also has anyone ever turned the head around on a minnkota for more power in reverse or is that even possible?

Yeah, turn the head around works much better. Easy to do, only two screws if I recall. Give that a try first. Otherwise get a 55ish # and then still turn the head around. More efficient. Good luck. Our 42# (head turned around) works fine on our 16' alumacraft.

Yeah I know theres 2 screws for the head and then a very cheap pin that holds it in place because its rattled loose before and i had to replace it. I think I would have to drill a hole in the other side of the shaft for the pin. I also would have to make sure that the shaft is long enough to down below the hull to run it in like that but I'm pretty sure its a 42 inch and can be done. I got the idea from a special factory Minnkota backtrolling model that I saw.

Yeah, turn the head around works much better. Easy to do, only two screws if I recall. Give that a try first. Otherwise get a 55ish # and then still turn the head around. More efficient. Good luck. Our 42# (head turned around) works fine on our 16' alumacraft.

when you say the head, are you talking about the part of the trolling motor with the handle, or the part that is actually in the water? i have a 55lb transom mount minnkota maxxum on my 16ft 1984 Lund and i pretty much only back troll because it is so much easier to control the boat in the wind.

on a different note, has anyone ever mounted a transom mount on the bow? i have seen a fishing video where a guy just mounted it on the bow, but instead of mounting it like a bow mount, they just put it over the gunnel at the very front part of the bow.

The top part, the handle part, is what yhou want to turn 180 degrees. Then of course REV is forward and FORWARD is rev wink

You just need to make sure the prop is clear of the bottom of the hull as Crazyeyes says. But on 20inch transome it should be without even having it all the way down. You can also use the "trim" angle to help, but you want the prop all the way below the hull so you aren't blowing water against the hull - wasted thrust smile

I have a bow mount 55 that works fine but I hate the foot controls and trolling from the front unless the winds kicking really bad and I have to. I also thought about putting an auxilary bracket on so that I could run my 4hp gas shortshaft and getting an extender handle or making one but the speed controls are still on the motor head so that really doesnt make sense for me either.