• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

T 8

HOT SPOT

I have a Yamaha t-8 that I have been having a problem with. Last weekend I was going to try to backtroll with it and the motor would keep shooting up. It would not stay in the water. I can go forward all I want but as soon as I put it into reverse It start to pop out the water. Any Ideas what it could be?

Thanks

There should be a locking mechanism on the motor to lock it down. When you put it into reverse without it, the prop "screws itself" out of the water. Look for a simple lever probably on the right side of the motor (as you look at the front of it from inside the boat).

I presume it doesn't have trim and tilt, right?

There is a locking mechanism in underneath the midsection of the motor... tip the motor up all the way, engage the full up lock, and look underneath the motor. You should be able to see the locking mechanism and be able to actuate it with the forward / reverse level with out the motor running.

marine_man

marine_man-

The tilt and trim works fine. I can raise and lower the motor with the switch. What happenes is when I use the kicker to backtroll and the motor pops out of the water. It will troll forward all day with no problems its just when I want to backtroll.

Ok.. that's a different story then...

I presume it doesn't leak down when you have it tilted up slightly, right?

It kind of sounds like an internal check valve is stuck / sticky / not working.. which is outside my expertise.

But, if it's leaking down it might just be the manual bypass valve being open slightly.

marine_man

I talked to two different marine mechanics today and I got two different opinions. I know them both and they have both seen/worked on the boat. So they both should know what motor and ext...

First, one said that one you shift it into reverse there is a lock on the motor that connects to the linkage that locks the motor down. He said maybe something happened to that

Second, he said more than likely it is the tilt and trim. What part I do not know. But What I didn’t understand is why the motor go up and down fine would then?

Hopefully I will be able to figure it out tonight.

On a T8 w/trim and tilt I'm pretty sure there's no locking bracket for reverse. If it didn't have trim and tilt, the most certainly is... but with trim and tilt I'm pretty certain there isn't.

As far as the motor going up and down fine; the issue is the down direction, or the inability of the trim and tilt unit to hold hydraulic pressure to keep the motor down, which is quite a bit different than hydraulic pressure to rotate the motor down, which is aided by gravity.

marine_man