• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1960s Johnson lower unit removal

SkunkedAgain

I decided to replace the impeller on my 1963 Johnson Seahorse 5.5hp. It's a great motor but I've never changed the impeller since I bought it seven years ago. I have the repair manual, but it is pretty bad. In the gearcase removal section, it goes straight from telling you how to remove the propeller to a picture of the water pump with no direction in between.

My question is, how do I disconnect the shift linkage so that I can get the lower unit down more than an inch? It looks like the shift linkage is beneath the powerhead, and not just under the carb. Do I have to remove the entire powerhead, in order to disconnect the shift linkage, so that I can remove the lower unit, so that I can change the impeller? Seems like a lot of work! I'm willing to do it, but want to make sure those are the right steps, since the OMC manual assumes that the average mechanic knows this stuff already.

So how do I disconnect the shift linkage on this motor?

Yep, you need to pull the powerhead to disconnect the shift linkage. 5.5's and some early 7.5's you have to do this. Its not really that bad though, 6 screws, fuel line, throttle shaft, you'll see what needs to come off. Remember to get powerhead base gasket for it or be prepared to make new one somehow. If you dont get a good seal it will leak exhaust gas under the cowl and run like carp.