• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

04 Sportsman

chasineyes

Ok...I'm gonna fix the polaris. Looks like it was just the lower ball joints that were causing the problem. Question...Do I need to take that cast spindle housing off to get the joint out? It looks like it's pressed in there. I'm wondering if a slide hammer would help break it loose.

Any advice or experience out there.

THANKS!!

For getting a ball joint out of the bottom of a strut:

Remove the 2 bolts that hold the plate over the ball joint, the plate, and rubber seal.

Going from memory I think it was a 3/8" drive 9/16" standard socket over the threaded end of the joint stud.

The 9/16 end fits over the tapered shaft and makes contact with the strut housing.

Thread the ball joint's castle nut onto the ball joint shaft that sticks out of the socket and tighten it down.

You may need to use a flat washer under the nut. This pulls the joint out.

OR you can remove the ball joint stud nut and then separate the stud from the lower a-arm. A small tie rod fork or a couple of sharp blows with a hammer on the control arm at the point where the stud comes through will work. Now remove the retainer plate. This is when you will need the puller from polaris. Pull the ball joint.

To install you can if you want throw the new ball joints in the freezer for a while. This will make it easier to drive them in.

good to hear, sometimes it goes super easy, and other times, well I have heard and helped others that were absolute nightmares.

Most of them that I had troubles with, the greaase zerks were covered with gunk and you can tell they were never greased.

might need a little heat when putting them back in, but for sure do the freezer trick and you should be set.