• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel leak and compression issue?

Jaspernuts

Here's the story. 1999 Johnson 115. Noticed fuel leak coming down shaft of engine so I took her to the shop. They found crankcase leaking from the block, they think the engine was apart at one time and wrong sealant was used putting it back together. $800 dollar fix. Compression readings 1-110 2-110 3-95 4-110.Leak down 1-30% 2-25% 3-20% 4-20%. Shop states possible head gasket issue. I ran it the other day and also looks like fuel is coming out of the exhaust. That concerns me. I don't want to spend $800 to find out it needs another grand. Any ideas on the fuel from exhaust and what would you guys do?

I'd be curious to see what the plugs looked like. Does #3 show signs of flooding or any water? A blown head gasket will almost certainly pull water into the cylinder just as easy as allow the compresion to leak out. What is strange is that there is 20% leakage on the cylinder that has the lowest compression. My first thought was maybe #3 is flooding and washing down the cylinder. That may explain the extra fuel in the exhaust and low comp?? Or you have 2 different problems.

Pulled the plugs (which are brand new and have about 15 minutes of run time on them. None showed signs of water. 3 looked fine but one of them has this white crust on it. It is from the top cylinder on the left side when standing behind the motor. Thank you boatfixer for your help on this.

boat006.jpg

I'm wondering if the mechanic has the cylinder numbering off??

As you are standing at the outside back of the boat looking at the motor.

PORT IS LEFT AND STARBOARD IS RIGHT

#1 is top starboard

#2 is top Port

#3 is bottom starboard

#4 is bottom Port

You say #2 has the white stuff? and the mechanic says #3 is low on comp?

White stuff can be water, or it can be deposits from additives, way too much Seafoam, etc.

Yeah, that is #2. I did use stabilizing oil and stabil, but just the normal amount for winterizing. I think a 2nd opinion is in order on this one, but unfortunately I don't think we know what we have until we tear it down.

I should have added that unburned additives shouldnt be cylinder specific. Since I dont have it right here in front of me and have my eyes on it, I hesitate telling you to pull the head but if it were mine and I had enough evidence it was water, thats what I'd do.

Update: Took to another shop and they pulled the head. Found scorched piston. They state others look fine and recommend doing just the one cylinder. Its a 10 hr job that includes rebuilding the carbs. $950 bucks. I think the price sound good. Any opinions? Is rebuilding one cylinder the normal process?