• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

prop advise

walleyemaniac

I have an '88 Yamaha 90hp outboard and I want to try a differant prop. Right now there's a 13 1/2 x 17 on it and it runs out about 5000-5100rpm. My question is if I go to a 19 or 20 pitch will I loose to many rpm's and how much speed do you think I will pick up. It will run out about 40-42mph on the gps on calm water. Seems like I've got all kinds of power. It's on a 17ft Crestliner fishing boat.

I am sure that you will pick up a few more MPH but you will lose some of the power out of the hole but if you have a light boat and don't carry too many people it would work. I would not do it just because your motor is 22 years old and it would make it work harder to get on plain.

Ya I usually only have two people when I'm fishing, 3 or 4 people if we're out screwing around tubing or skying. It gets out of the hole and on plain right now. Thats why I'm wondering if I could go to a higher pitch (number wise) cause it seems like i've got more then enough power. It'll top out really quick.

I know yamaha said I should be running around 5000rmp's top end and I don't know how much a couple steps up in pitch will change it.

And also is a 17 pitch on that style of motor kind of a standard, IDK? If so I'll probably just leave it. I guesse it gets across the lake fast enough anyway. It would just be nice on the bigger lakes.

Your top end seems what it should be. My 2004 Yamaha 4 stroke will push my 17' Lund Explorer about 42 mph full with 2 people. Half tank and livewell empty and 1 guy 45 mph.I think your ok. Im thinking my boat is heavier by a bit though. If you want more rpm and hole shot go smaller but top end will suffer.

Yup thats the same as mine I think I'll leave it as is, thanks.

What about an aluminum prop vs stainless steel, it came with stainless steel and I've never had a problem in the number of years I've had it. I fish a couple of lakes now with some good size rocks in them I was thinking of switching to aluminum to save the lower unit just in case a guy might catch one. Any thoughts?