• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yearly Mantenance for 2002 Honda 9.9 Outboard

slarson

Last spring I purchased a used 2002 Honda 9.9 4 stroke outboard. It had been serviced at the dealer before I purchased it. I would like to perform my own yearly maintenance on it. I have read several places that I should perform the following tasks in the spring. What do you think? Should I do other tasks or not all of these every year? Usually about 60 hours on the motor each year.

Engine Oil

Oil Filter

Fuel Filter

Lower Unit oil

Spark Plugs

Thanks, Seth

The owners manual is a good place to start. All but the fuel filter and spark plugs should probably be done every year... I would replace those on a as needed basis.

You really need to do this maintenance every fall. Most importantly is changing the lower unit lube before it freezes. If you have a leak in your gear case and some water gets into the housing, and freezes when it gets cold enough the seals in the lower unit will get pushed out and you'll have a really good leak in the lower unit to deal with.

marine_man