• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bimini Top Seam Sealer

Markerboy1

From day one the seams on Crestliner Supper Hawk Bimini-Top leak during heavy rains and was wondering if anyone has had this issue. I was thinking of using a tent seam sealer. Anyone have a recommendation or brand/source

Thanks

MB1

I've used Seam Grip Seam Sealer on everything from tents to waders and it works great. It stays flexible when cured and is permanent. I used it on a tent in '93 and the seams have been trouble/leak free since. Its important to take your time and follow the instructions. I like to throw some baby powder on it after it cures so that it isn't tacky.

The brand is McNett and you can find it any camping store.

If the water is just wicking through the thread I would give it a good thick coat of a spray-on silicone based water proofer like Camp Dry.

If its coming through the needle holes, then you will probably need to use a seam sealer. Seam sealers are urethane based and will yellow over time and look like cr@p, so I would stay from them unless absolutely needed.

A tip for all to know about marine tops, if it is at all wet, DO NOT TOUCH, it disrupts the fabric fibers and will make a greater possibility for it to leak. Let it dry before doing anything to it.