• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog gets car sick...

baumab

Has anyone else had this problem? I have a male german shorthair that is 1 yr 2 months old and every since the day that I brought him home in my lap he has had this problem. He listens well and when I tell him to lay down he does so but then after about 2-4 blocks he throws up in the truck...very frustrating. I have been using my kennel inside the pickup in the backseat and that seems to be helping as of now but when I did it when he was younger he would still get sick. Ive tried comforting him and petting him and all that but it never fails if hes out of the kennel loose in the truck he will get sick. He saluvates really bad and I asked the vet about it and he just said that hes nervous and will grow out of it, well its been a year so im looking for other options...anyone that can help, thanks in advance.

Well, Ive been away from dogs for a few years, except for my present (and probably last) Lab, but you can try some medication. Surprised vet did not suggest it-just a mile tranquilizer. And believe it or not, most of the tine they DO overcome it on their own.

In the meantime you are doing the right thing in not screaming and hollering at the dog. He does not WANT to do it.

Patience. And best of luck.

I had a vizsula that would get car sick. Same story as you puked in my lap coming home. Tried the kennel in the truck trick puked in there too. As he got older he got better about it or maybe I got better at recognizing it was about to happen. Give it time or like the previous poster said, talk to your vet again they have a dramamine like pill for dogs.

Dan

I had an English Setter for 16 years, that got car sick everytime we went somewhere. She never outgrew it, also drooled alot. Use the kennel, it will save on your frustration. Also try to limit the food intake and go with only water if you know you are going somewhere. I decided against the med option because then I would have a dog that was half out of it when we arrived at the hunting spot.

My brother in law had the same problem. the meds he gave his dog didnt drug him up just kept him from the drolling and pukin. after about 6 months of dealing with it he tried the drugs and they worked well and now they dont have to give him anything. some of the dramamine and some time and your dog will probably over come it too. you can get the dramamine at Fleet Farm.

good info. Im guessing that the dramamine would be considerable cheaper at fleet and farm then it would be to get it from the vet? let me know if Im wrong...yea my vets not the most pleasant guy in the world, hes pretty short with people. Thanks for the help though, probably end up trying the meds. Getting to be a pain loading the kennel everytime I want to bring him somewhere then having to clean puke up anyways...not fun, but im happier being that its in the kennel and not on my seat.

My setter doesn't like the car at 3.5 yrs old but he gets in because he'd rather be with me than at home. He used to get sick quite a bit as a pup but hasn't for quite a while. Make sure the vet tells you the correct dosage of Dramamine for your dog. My dog really dislikes the the vehicle when it's running. I can't get him to jump into the back with it running. I'm sure it's the exhaust but he won't even go by the side of the vehicle the exhaust is on when he goes into the garage. Not sure if your vehicle is running or not when you load up your dog but you may want to shut it off if in case that adds to the stress.

My dog is 17 months and seems to be over car sickness; that might just be luck. I’m no expert, but here are some thoughts.

When I fished Halibut in Alaska, my wife and I stayed out on the deck, and kept on eye on the horizon, and we were fine (although cold). The three Austrians that stayed inside watching the walls move weren't. They looked green to the gills and that boat cabin reeked of puke. So, my cloth cover for my kennel probably isn't a good thing for my dog to watch the walls moving. Probably sitting in the front of a pickup looking up the road is better for a dog than a side window, watching the fence posts streak by in the ditch. My kid’s friendly laps, with an old blanket, may have helped. No food beforehand definitely helps. Also, I believe my vet once mentioned short trips to start and building up from there.