• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help? 50 HP Merc, Oil Alarm

Nainoa

Used to frequent this site a long time ago... I'm hoping you guys can help me fix this problem.

Basic info:

2006 50HP Merc, 2 stroke, oil injected

Last year I had an electrical problem, which turned out to be 2 bad batteries, which failed for different reasons.

One of the problems was that when I'd go to turn it over, it would just kill before it would even start.

So as I was diagnosing it in the driveway, I would turn the key a little... If I got nothing, then I knew what it was.

I ended up popping the motor over (Staring it for a half second each time), for three times.

Then we diagnosed the problem, as the battery itself.

We put all the hatches and everything back on... I turned the key just to put it in the "On" position so I could test the rest of the electronics.

And the Low Oil Alarm came on. Even though the resevoir was full of oil.

It was the end of the season and so I decided to put it away saying "Well next spring when I get the tax return, I'll take it to a shop."

Then I lost my job.

Asking around I've been told 3 most likely situations.

1. My oil sensor burned out. And I just have to replace it.

2. The Vaccum pump that distributes the oil burned out when I popped it 3 times. ?????

3. That since I let the boat sit for a Month before this, that the fuel might have separated in the built in gas tank... And it just took those 3 pops to move the bad gas through the line to the motor... And that I had some secret (And not mentioned in my owners manual) Water in the motor sensor. ??????

Obviously in my current situation money is tight, but I can spare a little bit for a simple fix, and have a bit of a do-it-yourself mentality... Just not a lot of experience with boat motors.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!

There is a motion sensor for the oil pump itself. Since you are only turning the key and the engine is not running, the system is noticing that the pump is not turning. When you get a chance to fire it up on the muffs, take another listen.

#3 is my favorite. I hope it wasnt a mechanic that told you that

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying "In a couple of weeks when we get a warm snap, to either put it on some muffs or in the water... Start it and run it for a little bit and everything will synch back up?

So how long do you think it will run before the oil alarm stops?

*My ancillary concern is that it is something more ellusive and I'm running her lean for longer than she should?

Thanks for all your help...

If you're right, that's a big load off my mind.

Right now I think it's one of the first two possibilities you mentioned above; I really don't think you "popping" the motor three times did anything to your oil pump.

However, if the motor never fully ran after your troubleshooting it's entirely possible there's no issue.

marine_man

Right now I think it's one of the first two possibilities you mentioned above; I really don't think you "popping" the motor three times did anything to your oil pump.

However, if the motor never fully ran after your troubleshooting it's entirely possible there's no issue.

marine_man

Thanks...

So let's say, on the outside chance that I did burn out my oil censor... What would be my fastest, yet still economical way to get a replacement part?

Find it on line and order it direct?

Go to the local dealership?

Catch a leprechaun at the end of a rainbow?

laugh

Well, your third option sounds most appealing, however, short of the big auction site, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal online (unless it's used, which you might find at Twin Cities Outboard or Tim's Outboard in Hackensack, but unlikely given the year) than at a dealer. I'll never say never, but I'd try and price shop a couple of dealers and see where things are sitting.

marine_man

Here is a diagram of your system.

If you cant wait until spring to check it, locate the blue wires coming from the oil resiviour. Turn the key on and if the horn is still going off, disconnect the blue wires and see if the horn is still sounding. If the horn stops, its the oil sensor in the tank. If it still continues, disconnect the brown and purple going to the temp sensor on the back of the block. If it stops, its the temp sensor. If it continues locate the blue/white blue wires going to the oil pump motion sensor, disconnect.

mercuryOilInjection.png

So we tried all the stuff mentioned in this thread... No dice...

After a while it was clear there was no oil running through the system. You could tell by the smell as the last of the oil in the system ran through.

My friend and I suspect it is the little vaccum pump where the oil injects into the system.

He works on big engines and says "Even though I've never done something like this, I'm sure I can replace that if you get the part."

So my questions are.

1. Is it better to just take to a shop (Money is tight)

2. Any reccomendations in the St. Cloud Area? (Original dealership closed down)

3. How tough would it be to get my hands on the part (Source?) and do it ourselves?

Thanks!