• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod for my wife

I plan to build my wife a new fishing rod for this upcoming summer. She only fishing with a spincast reel and she is in need of a two piece rod (we will take it camping and on trips, much easier to handle in two pieces). I'm looking for a recommendation on overall length, weight, action. I'm thinking 6' to 6'6" in a ML fast action. She mainly fishes panfish, by bobber, so being able to cast well is a must. She will occasionally run into the stray northern or bass as well. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I would go with a 7-0 mod-fast/light blank. The moderate action will load the rod at a slower speed and help keep the bait from leaving the hook during the cast. The extra length will pick up more line for better hook sets.

6 to 7 foot Med Lt and moderate fast action. It is the 2 piece that really limits you. I do a fair amount of 2 piece rods and they are the biggest pain to find in decent quality blank. I just ordered a cabelas fish eagle 7 2 piece and have yet to get it so can't really say how nice a blank it is. Should get it in a few days.

Nothing wrong with a longer fishing rod. A longer lever, wider arc, gets a lure moving faster for longer casts. I'd certainly not ignore the possibility of a 7' or 7'6'' if you're doing a two piecer.

Then again, if you're dealing with lots of branches and stuff shore fishing while camping, a 6 footer is much more maneuverable and helps to reduce tangling a rigged up rod as you walk through the wilderness.

For panfish, I'd go anything from light to medium, you can't really go wrong. I like medium rods myself for bobber fishing because they let me fling heavier bobbers which let me cast a bit further due to the increased momentum vs wind resistance.. unless you are dealing with bobber shy panfish and need to use dinky bobbers.

Alot depends on your price range. Anything in St. Croix I would go 6'6" either a UL or ML. If it is mainly for Pannies, go Ultra Light

Biggest issue he is going to run into is the 2 piece blank, lot less choices in 2 piece.

Just got it(the cabelas blank) in yesterday and opened this am. I am going to say this is a pretty darn nice blank for the $$$. It is easily a nicer blank than the St Croix SCII blanks I have used in the past for 2 piece blanks. Probably comparable to the SCIII blanks or at least very close. I won't know for sure until it is totally built and tested, but the blank is light, fast and should easily fit the bill for what I am building it for.

I know most people are looking for 1 piece rods and the blank manufacturers lean that way, but when you have someone looking for a 2 piece for whatever reason it is nice to be able to get the blank you want(length, action, line wt, lure wt etc) in a 2 piece blank. I am not doing this to tell people they should only be using a 1 piece rod. 2 piece rods have their place and with the way way the make ferules now days there is very little difference(if any) in the sensitivity of a 2 piece rod. It could be considered a weak spot, but if done right and proper care it shouldn't really have an affect on the rod over time. And by care I mean the way it is built and keeping it clean, a simple wipe down before putting it together should do it. The biggest enemy of a ferrule over the years is dirt in the ferule and then twisted together or apart, it acts like grinding it over time.

Wow I got way off track there didn't I. Bout time to start getting ready to head out fishing(lake I am going to is a later in the day starter) and catch me a few crappies wink