• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Research on Regional Walleyes and weather

This is coming from Pleasant Grove Utah, and I'm doing a research on walleyes. We have a few good walleye lakes here... not abundant in numbers like you guys got in Minnesota and other famous walleye locations.

Question: 1. Are walleyes affected by crappy weather? I noticed that in the walleye insider magazine, pros do it in crappy weather during tournaments. Well the problem here in Utah, I've taken my Tracker boat out several times in crappy windy and rainy weather, and I've yet to score a huge walleye. I've tried backtrolling, planer boards, jigs, bouncers, and it would not produce well in crappy weather. Is it true walleyes shut down during those times?

2. Walleyes and the moon, clear nighttime skies, they eat themselves full, making fishing hard or next to impossible?

3. I realize that in the east, walleye lakes can yield more walleyes than compared to the west. It makes for tougher fishing which I am sure... it must be easier to catch walleyes in a lake full of walleyes in crappy weather? I know this is a D'oh question, but it helps to understand the state of walleyes here in Utah.

Yes, Walleyes are affected by fronts and unstable weather.They can get turned on or turned off. On lake Mille Lacs in central Minnesota, thunder can have a great impact. Generally look for those fish effected by a front to push into deeper water. The best way i have found to target these sluggish fish is with live bait. Drifting or backtrolling on top of these fish with slow moving leech or crawler rigs can trigger a bite. If that doesn't work i will reverse the pattern and high speed troll a large bladed spinner rig or a floating crankbait on a three-way. If those two patterns don't produce, i keep searching for a bite.Don't assume the whole lake has shut down.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Hey Utah --
Good to hear from you. If you're serious about research on walleyes, sign up for a couple professional walleye trail tourneys and pre-fish as well as compete (as amatuer) with the pros. You will be amazed at the knowledge you can acquire.

Just one thing to consider -- no matter the moon phase, the wind, the precip, temp or pressure, the professionals fish during the worst time of day and conditions. Yet, they catch fish. Is there a message there?

You don't need ideal conditions, isolated lakes, and darkness of night to catch walleyes.

Yes, the weather affects the fishing in more ways then one. To the inexperienced angler cold fronts and bad weather make the fishing very bad. The pros have so much experience that bad weather doesnt make to much of an impact on them. They just change their tactics a bit and they're set. So if your like me just pray for the good weather!!!

warroadfisherman