• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie rod

HNTNBUX

I was looking at a new rod for crappies today. I have two 5'6' rods that work fine but I thougt I would get a 6'6' for a little easier casting. I am looking mainly at casting a jig or tube of some sort usually around a 1/16.

The decesion comes on whether to get a light action for more feel or the ultra light and let the rod load up before I can feel them.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend, but the 6'6" St. Croix Triumph in ML might serve your purposes well. A little spendy @ $65-70, but worth the price. The Shimano Clarus series is also a good option, around the same price. If you don't want to spend as much, then maybe a Shimano Convergence. I have a six foot model that I've had for a few years.

Another option to look at are the Gander Mountain Guide Series rods. I have a UL, and it actually feels more like a medium-light action rod.

I like my panfish rods a little longer so I can cast farther and not so flimsy so it can handle the occasional lunker bass or nort. I spool up with Fireline so I can feel those delicate bites. Usually with crappies that isn't a problem though.

If you are tossing light jigs like that, get something in the 6'6" to even an 8'er with a L to ML action. BUT make sure it has a fast tip and it isn't a noodle rod. The quick tip really helps with casting distance with those light lures. Doesn't matter what brand or who makes it.

So it sounds like the choice is for the heavier rod and not the ultra light in that length. I was looking at the St. Croix rods and a rep at Thorne Bros recommended a shimano I think but they did not have any in stock yet.

Thanks for the info I was thinking that the ultra light might be too soft in that length.

I bought a 7'2" B'n'M last year and love it, it has a really slow action and can toss a bait a long ways. This year i found some blanks that are 2 piece 8 footers that have a little faster action but are still L. cant wait to start building on them.

Being a year round crappie nut, I have several open water rods that are used for pitching light jigs. My favorite is a St. Croix Avid 7'6" ML with an XFast action. Doubles as a great live bait rigging rod for walleyes. Fantastic tip and very soft that loads into a nice strong but section. Cast's a 1/32 oz jig as far as you need to in order to get to the fish. Number 2 is the newer Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye 7'2" ML rigging rod. Throws lite jigs, very sensitive, light (a tad ligher than the St. Croix), and again can be used as a walleye rod. The action is a bit more moderate than the Avid so it is more forgiving which makes it a great rod to pair with 2-4 lb fireline for rocket launching casts. Third on my list is a discontinued rod, the Fenwick Venture 7' ML. The action is similar to the Avid but the tip is not quite as soft.

Whichever rod you find, look at ML power with a faster action. Extra Fast action would be the best if you can find it with the power combination of your liking. Try 7' or longer, it will allow for longer casts and easier hook sets.