• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roughfishing Question

So I kind of got into rough fishing this summer, and have never even thought about catching roughfish through the ice. But after looking and reading through this section, I see it's possible. I live in White Bear Lake (NE Metro) and I was curious if anyone could provide me with some insight or tips so I could catch a few roughfish before the ice out!! Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Roughfish thru the ice is a tough one. Most roughfish species get pretty inactive during our winter months. I've caught one Drum and a few Mooneyes thru the ice on Lake St. Croix, thats about it. Channel Catfish seem to be the most reliable ice catch for most, even though they are not really a roughfish. Some guys get Carp occasionally, but there is really no pattern yet. You might get into some suckers and redhorse on a smaller river, but watch the ice, it could be unsafe. Bottom rigging corn or nightcrawlers would probably work in all of these situations, just like you would do during the summertime. The St. Croix River near Bayport would be my best option for roughfish I could offer you. Good luck if you go, and let us know if you do any good.