• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog shedding

vanhea20

My dog decided it was a good idea to chew up and eat a rubber bone a few weeks back. I watched and it looked like he passed all of it. Since then though he has been shedding a lot. I brush him every other day roughly and always have a brush full of fur. If he still has some of the bone in his system would it cause this? Or could it be something else? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

My dog had been sheeding like mad for about a month but just in the last week he has stopped. He is nine months and I just assumed his coat was finally thickening up because he is definately a little more shaggy now. I think it is pretty typical for dogs to have a few times a year when they shed worse then other times of the year. Could be allergies to?

Dan

I don't think a rubber bone would cause it. Stress will. Could be a food thing, too. Have you changed food recently? We switched foods about 9 months ago, and ours sheds way less. Not too long ago we had to go back to his old food for a few weeks due to some health issues. I could not believe how much he started sheddding again. Now, he's been back on the other food for about two months, and the shedding has almost completely stopped. (both high-quality foods, too!)

I would say its a stress or food issue as well.

My Lab is an outdoor dog and if she is inside too much in a week and i were to brush her, she would shed some extra. Not sure what the living arrangement is for yours though.

Unfortunately there isn't one simple answer for shedding. Especially with dogs with long coats like labs. Diet, coat & skin conditions and lack of grooming are common factors that cause shedding. I've had labs for most of 36 years and it's just my observation here, but it seems that they will shed more this time of the year if you have them in and out of the house frequently. Your vet would probably tell you to try a higher quality food, groom more often and try shampoos and oils for coat and skin conditioning.

I did not see it talked about but one more thing is if you did shampoo your dog, well what kind. I had a dog I used that Bio flea and tic stuff on, and he was headed to look like a hairless cat. Just had a shedding reaction to that stuff. Rinsed him off good and washed him with vet with aloe and it cleared up, never trouble other then normal shedding after that.