• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

True trophy Crappie

Fever

you can totally measure the fish correctly with a tape measure. just close its mouth and place it at the "0" mark.

i realize its much easier and probably more consistent with a bump board, but doesnt mean you cant get an accurate measure with a tape

as far as shrinkage, i think if you had that study laminated and presented it to the CO, you might be fine. its been fairly well documented

you can totally measure the fish correctly with a tape measure. just close its mouth and place it at the "0" mark.

i realize its much easier and probably more consistent with a bump board, but doesnt mean you cant get an accurate measure with a tape

as far as shrinkage, i think if you had that study laminated and presented it to the CO, you might be fine. its been fairly well documented

I understand to get a good estimate of what the fish is, you can do it with a tape measure, but when it comes to if you are legal or not (like walleyes on mille lacs) it's probably better to have a "bump board".

It's hard to measure a live jumping fish. So with slots, I would suggest to go on the safe side and get a board.

Crappie Attack:

I do use a bump board, here in central WI on the WI river there is a slot limit on walleyes. I usually do not keep walleyes unless they are a 1/4 inch over or under the slot.

My above scenario has never happened to me, just wondering if anyone else has had problems with it.

Heck of a fish there, a trophy for sure. I would have to agree on measuring with a bumpboard, but one that is flat and not concave like in the picture. It is the most accurate way to measure with the mouth closed and tail pinched.

Fisherdog19,

why does it matter if the bottom is slightly concave to cradle the fish? Why do you prefer a flat suface. That concavity cupping the fish should not change the length of the fish. It actually holds the fish in the measuring device better.

I disagree on the concave bumpboard, it's ok for eyes and fish that are not so tall from top to bottom. If anything, it may shorten your fish because they may bend and cup with the concave board. I tried the concave one and tossed it back in the boat and relegated it to non-panfish use. I just prefer the flat board, it's easier to get a measurment on panfish with.

I disagree on the concave bumpboard, it's ok for eyes and fish that are not so tall from top to bottom. If anything, it may shorten your fish because they may bend and cup with the concave board. I tried the concave one and tossed it back in the boat and relegated it to non-panfish use. I just prefer the flat board, it's easier to get a measurment on panfish with.

well, I guess all I can do is test it. However I will need to get a flat bottom one. Measure the same fish on both and see if there is a difference.

i caught a 16 incher on Prior a few years back. it was a hybrid (mix between black and white) I was amazed when it came through the whole. I mounted it, i feel there is no reason not to....

chillincarp, do you have a picture of the hybrid? I'd like to see it! Did it have 6 or 7 spines?

As for measuring, people do it wrong all of the time. A good, flat bump-board like a Judge and make sure you close the mouth tight, and pinch that tail. A mouth open on a crappie when measuring can add half an inch easy.

BTW, nice fish!