• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHALLOW EYES

Last fall I actually picked up a 2 1/2 lb sauger casting a shad rap style crank bait parallel to the shore line on the Mississippi.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

[This message has been edited by Big_Lew (edited 03-29-2002).]

Walleye will feed in water just deep enough to fill their gills up with water. I have seen them with their fins sticking out of the water and occasionally temporarily beaching themselves between waves.

If you ever seen footage of killer whales hunting seals on beeches, you know what a walleye will do if the food is there. A walleye’s favorite saying is, “Have teeth will hunt”.

Casting minnow bait style plugs suck as a #11, #13 Rapala, Salmo Sting, or Bomber Long A’s into the wind swept shore will be good on pre-spawn walleye. Post spawn odds are they are off the breaks and shad Rap’s of jigs will produce, but watch for the food, that is where they will be.

Same deal again in late fall, beat the shelves where they feed is or where they stage for a mock spawn.

Bulked up jigs rigged with a 4" double or single tail twister or a 4-5" sassy shad work well on wind swept shoreline areas, day or night.

Early on in spring the key is warmer water and food. The two usually go hand in hand but not all the time.

A killer classic in winds betting into an in-flowing creek or river. The combo of the wind and the warmer run off currents pile up food and fish in a localized area setting the stage for a feeding binge. Big time Piggy time!

Another proven method in flipping a slip float and a hook or jig into the wind blown feeder shelves. I start with the plugs and work to the less aggressive methods as the fish general mood dictates, first plugs, then jigs, and if they are still fussy go to the float rigs.

Warm water + Wind + Food = Piggys

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

on days with little or no wind and if in a clear water lake, slip bobber fishing works well. Nothing fancy, just a hook with a minnow, crawler, or leach. Make sure you get that bait down deep enough, even if your bait hits bottom at times. Also, Proper float/weight ratio is important. Not so much weight that the float goes under with every little wave, but enough that it goes under with very little effort. Good luck!

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT, BACKWATER ED, I HAVE A FEELING YOU HAVE PROBABLY FORGOT MORE ABOUT FISHING THAN I KNOW. HERE IS THE SITUATION, I WILL BE ON A LAKE I HAVE NEVER FISHED BEFORE FOR THE WALLEYE OPENER THIS YEAR AND I HEAR THAT THE EYES ARE USUALLY VERY SHALLOW AND I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO FISH IT. OR AT LEAST HOW TO START FISHING IT. ONCE I FIND A PATTERN THAT WORKS I CAN USUALLY GO OFF THAT. NEW WATER JITTERS I GUESS.........