• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brake problem?

fishyspringer

I have a 86 indy trail and last time i rode it the sled came to a stop, the engine still running fine. But it wouldnt move no matter how much gas I gave it. This was at night and I noticed something glowing orange from under the hood. Looked to be about where the brake disk is. Is it possible for the brakes to seize up? What would cause this? When I was able to look at it in the daylight I found the brake line came loose from the caliper. The fitting was still intact. Looked like it had seperated from the heat build up. Anyone have this happen before? I dont know a whole lot about snowmobiles. Looking for some input. Thank you.

If the brake lever is free the caliper is very likely seized up. Brake systems are very often overlooked on sleds. Its a good idea to drain,refill and bleed the system every few years. The extreme temperature fluctuations create moisture in the system and corrosion follows.

Calipers can be rebuilt or replaced fairly easily.

I am seeing a few prolems on brakes. Mine leaked out all the fluid thru the brake pressure switch. Half the plastic on the switch was puhed off. Not common but does happen. Ended up with complete used bit fairly new system. Master to the caliper fully intack ready to go. Blled them out last night and ready to go.