• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Manufacturers

All,

This is great information for me...really! But the only thing I have concluded for sure is to get at least a 16 footer and a 4 stroke engine.

What about console vs tiller? Any advantages to one or the other?

Is a roller trailer a big advantage or not that big a deal?

Thanks again and keep the info coming. Its going to make me a much more confident shopper/buyer.

Spydie-
What kind of boat you need depends on what and how you fish. Big water or small lakes? Panfish/bass/pike or battling waves for walleyes?

I had 3 tiller boats before I finally went to a console. I won't go back to a tiller because tillers did not fit my needs when fishing. Instead of a tiller, I bought a kicker motor as my tiller combination.
Tillers offer better control for fishing, more room within the boat, less overall hassle.
I like consoles for the ride, visibility and versatility. I stay drier in big water and I feel like I have more control on big water. Plus, I like to waterski and tillers just don't cut it for having fun when not fishing.

Trailers? Roller trailers is all I have really owned, except for my really small boats. Roller trailers are very popular, but I wouldn't mind having a custom bunk trailer either. Roller trailers are much easier for unloading the boat in shallow water, and in loading/unloading in tough spots with not the best launching facilities.

I was looking at buying a used Cliner 1750 from a guy my boss knows.It turns out that the boat was in for repairs.I asked about it and sure enough it was stringers separating from the hull(welds cracked).
This did not prevent me from buying a welded boat but I went with Monarch only because I am a cheapskate!
The Monarch is about 2 to 4 thousand bucks cheaper than other models of the same length,beam and depth.They also had a lifetime leak proof waranty with NO small print.Some thing that was very important to me after having owned many leaky boats,especially the last one.I am not pushing the Monarch,it just fit my needs at the price I was willing to pay at the time.

As for console or tiller.That is personal preference.I like a tiller on my river rig.when you are fishing precise spots on structure.And for bigger water I just prefer a console.

I'm older than most, and was a partner in a resort for 10 years, so I've owned a fleet of boats. I presently have a 14 Lund that stays in the water all season, an 18 Tracker Targa that I use on my lake and trailer to others, and an Ercoa pontoon for giving guests a tour of the local water. Here's my opinion:

There is very little difference between the best and worst in today's aluminum boat market. As a matter of fact, many are made by the same company anyway. Lund is no longer Lund, Grumman is no longer Grumman, Lowe is no longer Lowe, etc. Of Minnesota boats, Alumacraft may be the only independent left, I'm not sure.

Go to your local dealer and select what seems to fit your needs. Unless you're a PWT walleye pro pounding the water of Erie, Winnebago, LOTW, Sakakawea, Oahe, and the like, you're not going to pop rivets or crack welds. A responsible local dealer will make good on whatever remotely might happen to your new boat. If you were going to be pounding big water, we wouldn't be talking about aluminum or 16 footers -- we'd be comparing pros and cons of 19 to 21 foot glass boats -- a whole different ball game.

If you're of Norwegian ancestry, Lutheran, and Minnesota born, then maybe you better have a Lund. Otherwise, you've got many choices.

Here's my two cents on Crestliners. I own a 1961 16' deep V and it doesn't leak a drop. It has been in the family since it was new.(grandpa's old boat) This boat is on it's 4th engine, was struck by a speed boat on the St.Croix,Sunk in Prior Lake by one of my uncles, and it still has the original floor in it.Back in 61 Crestliners were fiberglass. A good friend of mine has a 2000 Crestliner and has had no problems with it. As far as aluminums go I think they're a better value than the Lund. If I were buying a new boat however I'd be looking at Yar-Craft or Glastron.

[This message has been edited by Snook (edited 02-22-2002).]

Spydie, I am not getting in the debate with brand names, I own a fiberglass boat and I can't compare with aluminum.
I can say something with tiller vs. console.

Console is much better, especially with wife and children. If you get a full windshield you will be able to install a top, and maybe full enclosure (very spendy $$$), but it will keep you warm during these late fall or very early spring days.

That will make from wasting time at 6:00pm in late october when walleye bite starts and you hear..."I,m cold...can yo take me to shore ?" wink.gif

Val

walleye1.gif

Having a wheel boat might be better for resale you can get rid of them easier and it might workfor keeping your family a little more comfortable but the bottom line to me is you control a tiller better and its alot easier to stay on the tighter structure,tiller boats also have more room w\o that stering wheel in the boat.get the all roller trailer they are sweet there's my two cents
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

Spydie, you've found a GREAT dealer.

I am not affiliated and get no benefits from this, but I took my boat and some friends boats to their shop in Shakopee and I can't say anything but good things about them. Remember, service is what counts, and if you choose a good dealer, it will pay back in a short time. I bought a boat and some of my friend too there. They are great.

Val

walleye1.gif

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 03-04-2002).]