• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel troubles can they be fixed?

I have 5 abu garcia cardinal 100 reel I use for ice fishing and UL in the summer. In the last two weeks I am down 3 due to drag issues. Can any one tell me if there might be a way to fix them or is it time for garbage.

The drag no longer "ticks" the reel spins smooth unless you have it completely screwed down. I know they are simple systems and yes they are no that expensive for new ones but I am leaving in two days for URL and I don't want to buy 3 more reels.

Is there something in the screw cap or the drag disk or the metal washer that might need cleaning or greasing?

I called the local reel repair shop and they told me to just buy new ones with out even hearing what was wrong so my confidence is low in them.

HELP!!!!!!

THnaks

Fortunately you have 5 of them to work with. I would bet you have a problem in the spool/drag assembly.

Remove the spool from one reel and look underneath. Is there a spring or something that will latch and engage the drag? Is it broken or missing? Is there a screw that holds the spool assembly together. Can you unscrew the adjuster from the front? The drag discs should be underneath. Do not grease them, but they should be able to spin free without the pressure from the adjuster. Is anything torn up? If you see anything broken, damaged or otherwise obviously damaged, its time to buy new reels.

The reel shop is probably right in that it would cost more to fix them than it would cost to buy new reels.