• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another ID

bobbymalone

Also, great pics ctrl+alt+del

I see pumpkinseed in a number of those hybrids you posted. That bottom one looks very much what I look for in pure pumpkinseeds, but I don't see enough of them to be able to tell the difference between pures and high % hybrids. Do you ever catch pure pumpkinseeds?

I catch pure pumpkinseeds from here to there. I know of a lake in the twin cities area that hosted a bunch of full mature ones. I remember catching and seeing them breed by the shore a few years back. That lake is also infested with a bunch of bluegills too.

Of the pics above most can be easily identified, and I would say they are as follows...

1. Coppernose or Pure BG, could just have hue issues in the DNA.

2. Bluegill

3. Pumpkinseed

4. Pumpkinseed

5. Green Sunfish

6. Orange-Spotted possibly...

7. Pumpkinseed

8. PS x GSF

9. BG x GSF

10. PS x GSF

I still think the original pic is a PS x GSF. We catch a ton of them on the Mississippi and they are just like what is posted. I still have scales to be sent in for DNA, hoping to get confirmation. I HATE not knowing for sure!

Pure Orangespotted Sunfish

Orangespotted_Sunfish.jpg

That crazy looking hybrid in the longer post a couple back, could have some OSS blood in it, though the gill flap makes me think that it may be a Pumpkinseed crossed with something?

Actually that hybrid looks like it could have some Greeny in too - maybe Green X OSS?

Pure pumpkinseeds are typically rounder in shape closer to a Gill. Greens have less round bodies, generally longer shape. It is very difficult these days to find a pure pumpkin. I remember as a child in the 80's catching pure pumpkins in the Metro lakes such as Cedar, isles etc, easily distinguishable and the bodies were very round. The mouth sizes are similiar to gills. Greens have larger mouths. Anyhow these days they all seem mixed?

I dont think the fish here is a pure pumpkinseed, but likely have 80% pumpkinseed DNA. From the darker colors that could be a form of Green Sunfish.

The other problem here is strands of colors can differ on genes. So same fish in one lake doesnt necessarily look like fish in another.

If you has ask me in the 80's while growing up I would says what the heck is that? Cause it sure didnt look like the pumpkins I was catching then. If it was my guess today, id say its definitely of Pumpkinseed class, however not completely pure. Its possibly a Pumpkin/Green combo due to the body shape and colors. But without DNA test its impossible to be for sure. If caught bluegill/green hybrids down South and they definitely do not look like this. BREAMS look more like pure gills without the green stripes but larger in size and mouth.