• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Am I out of touch with reality - Opinions Please

muddpuppy

I have been trying to sell this for about a month due to not having the time or anyone to ride with anymore. I have been asking for 1600 is this out of line? Appears to be going rate from what I can tell. Everyone who has responded to my ads seems to think it should be around 900 or less? No one has come to see or ride I am just wondering if I am really that out of touch with reality

1997 Yamaha VMAX 600sx (Twin) with 26xx miles

Front suspension Ohlins rebuilt last year

Rear Suspension Kimplex Gold Series replaced last year

Engine had the top half replaced last year. New Jugs and Pistons 300 miles on rebuild

Track is at 75% It had 96 studs that have been removed. I didn’t care for them.

There have been no modifications to the machine.

The machine is maintained yearly and as needed

Kbb says it worth $1575 retail. I think times are tough and people aren't really buying. Even with snow people aren't getting what they are asking for things because buyers aren't there like they used to be. Just because you see other sleds like it in the same price range doesn't mean they are selling either.

I think somewhere in-between the two numbers would be about right.

This is just my opinion of course....I'm not saying older Yamahas are bad sleds but there resale particularly your style sled does not have a good fan-base versus the big 3 sleds of that era. And your rebuild is big red flag.. what caused the meltdown? Plugged Carbs, crank seal, driver abuse. Who did the repair what parts did they use what was actually done. Thats the biggest downfall to getting a good price IMO.

And of course luck and knowing where and how to advertise the machine plays a role.

Frustrating I know!

I'm not an expert by any means but that sounds reasonable as long as its in good shape and runs good. I just think most people are not wanting to spend money right now and/or looking to buy things cheaply. If you are not in a hurry to sell, be patient and it will sell. If you are in a hurry you have to do what the market demands.

Edit: I do agree with bob that having been rebuilt actually scares people from buying cause it sounds more likely that they will have trouble with it and have to spend additional money

Quote:
And your rebuild is big red flag.. what caused the meltdown? Plugged Carbs, crank seal, driver abuse. Who did the repair what parts did they use what was actually done. Thats the biggest downfall to getting a good price IMO.

I'll third that! I normally buy new, but I have been looking at a used sled for an extra, and if it says anything about rebuilt I dont even call. I'd rather pay a bit more for original, or a bit less for one that needs work and do it myself.

1600 does seem a bit high for that sled, although with not seeing it its hard to say.

I was one who you would have been trying to sell to. I searched alot on Classifieds and for the year of your sled its over priced compared with similar aged sleds. This is my opinion at least. Im a newbie so to say as its been many years between sleds so forgive me for my igorance. But I agree "the statement that it has been rebuilt" hurts it, the extras you have added on does not matter to me either. I was looking for a cheap sled to get on the snow and with the winters we had in the past no one wants to spend a fortune on a sled when we dont know if were going to be able to use it next year. Again when I was looking there were so many sleds under 1K i was amazed. You could find 2000's for under 1000.00. But then the snow hit and prices jumped a little bit. Again im not a sled head. I was just the average guy that wanted a sled and price was a huge factor with this economy and MN snow history .

I paid $1300 for a 95 Polaris XLT Classic, it was for sale about 6 hours I was the 5th call and first with the cash. Down here you can't touch a good sled for under a grand, seen 1 over the weekend that was buried and not sure if it even ran a 95 V Max 600 advertised for $900 sold in hours. I would be leary to of a rebuild with only 2500 on it, mine still original with almost 5K on it.

I have spent a lot of time the last 10 ten years following auction prices and buying and selling at one of the largest auctions in the country.

Your price is a little high from what I see, unless it was in absolute mint condition and you found someone looking for that particular sled. I am thinking $1200 is more practical from looking at the recent prices. That could still be tough.

Having done the maintenance and be upfront about the rebuild would be the exact info I would want to hear. I know you're not trying to hide anything and I like to hear you take care of your stuff. Although a lot of guys have been burned, by a so called top end "rebuild". Lot of wanna be mechanics out there, that could do just as much harm as good. I have read stories of "rebuilds" that were not executed properly. There are also the guys that know exactly what they are doing and love to do this stuff excessively, they enjoying rebuilding sleds, as preventive maintenance or are always looking for peak performance.

There are far fewer "yamaha guys" out there also, for various reasons. Although the recent 4-stroke generation has changed things greatly.

I would advise you to advertise on snowmobile specific websites for sure. The crowd will be very different from the crowd on hunting/fishing websites, much different attitudes about rebuilds and they will have a good idea on pricing and what is current. They often are looking for sleds for many other functions than just pulling the shanty out.

Oh yeah, the economy for most of your target market is tough also. Probably going to have to be patient.

Good Luck on your sale!

Ha and to think I offered my '99 XC700SP with 2000 miles to a friend for $1300 last year. Its original and mint. He couldnt come up with the cash.Ha. You are not alone on being high on price people still think they can sell a 10 year old Sportsman for $1900 less than new.

Ha and to think I offered my '99 XC700SP with 2000 miles to a friend for $1300 last year. Its original and mint. He couldnt come up with the cash.Ha. You are not alone on being high on price people still think they can sell a 10 year old Sportsman for $1900 less than new.

I'd love that sled unless its red LOL. That may well be my next toy after finding the wife a 2up.

The reason for the rebuild is due to a known defect on that year sled, That occurs between 2-3000 miles.

I have also posted this on a yamaha site but I wanted the Average Joe responce. I have gone through several sites looking at boats and can't belive what some people want for their stuff. But I think when you are selling something it easy to get wrapped up in the investment you have in that item. I didn't want to be that guy.

thanks for your thoughts

I'm afraid your price is definately to high. Its only worth what people are willing to pay. If you cant get some one to come and look at it after a month of advertising you know its the price that is scaring them off. I would advertise it for 1200 and see what kind of response you get. If you don't sell it in the next month you may have it till next winter as the market will really dry up. Good luck.

If you do not need the cash, keep it at the price you want. If you want some cash, do as I do. Drop the price every week until someone bites. If no go, hold it till next fall.

I do not think the price is outrageous, and the rebuild maybe a red flag for some, but a plus for others????

It all depends on the buyer. You may get someone who just wants a sled for the first time (or maybe getting back into it) and you live close to them.

I used to be a huge Yamaha guy in High School. The V-Max changed that for me grin Since then I have been an AC guy. Never figured I would ever like AC.

I sold a high mileage mid-nineties AC ZR580 last year for a $1000 in February. Had it for sale for over 2 months. One day I got an e-mail from a guy who lived 10 miles from me. He wanted a sled for the up coming weekend. Came over, test drove and payed cash on the spot. Asked if I would go lower, I said no and he said I will take it. grin

yeah i would have to agree its cause its a yamaha, and i do think its a little high. i bought a 98 mxz 670 with 3k on it for 1200 with just a minor exauhst leak that was fixed with some permatex. Nothing against yamaha but it seems like people look past yamaha when buying a sled and look at doos,cats, and polaris.