• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

From the warm to the cold

I apolized if the question has been asked before, I have a Nikon D40 and I want to start talking pictures again, long story, but I have a good group of birds in my backyard. What I would like to do is set up some sort of hiding place and shoot from there. What kind of problems will I run across as I take the camera from a warm house and go sit outside with it?

Any tips would be appreciated.

You won't get any problems going from warm to cold, wazz. It's coming back into a warm house with a cold camera that will cause lenses and the camera sensor and LCD to fog up with condensation.

To avoid that, when you're ready to come back into the house, pull your memory card and put it in your pocket, and put the camera/lens into a plastic bag and bring them in, leaving them in the bag for an hour or more to warm slowly and avoid condensation. I actually just put my stuff back in my camera backpack while I'm still outside. It's padded, and will allow the gear to warm even more slowly than the plastic bag trick.

You pull the card before you come in so you don't have to wait impatiently for the gear to warm up before exposing it and getting to the card. I do the same thing with the camera batteries I've used that day, too. Usually, by the time I'm done downloading, sorting and processing the day's shoot, my gear has all warmed up and the batteries are recharged.

Perfect, I too have the padded backpack type bag, so I will just put my stuff back in there. And remove the card.

Thanks for the info, if I get anything worth it, I will try and post a few pics.

Thanks for the info steve